PDA

View Full Version : linux mp3 box

heni72847
10-03-2004, 07:21 PM
i was thinking of transforming my old p150mhz comp into a mp3 playa..
it has 32 ram and 2gb hd with network card

i want it so i don't need a screen or anything.. just a keybord to control some stuff...so boot and play...

i was thinkin of using some linux distro.. but can't seem to find one simply made for this purpose...

has anyone tried anything similar or is there better ways to do this..

Susan B
10-03-2004, 07:48 PM
The January issue of PC Solutions which I bought last week has a good article on building your own media server and using Knoppix to run on it.

The article stresses that although the processor speed or RAM is not a limiting factor it does say that a generous hard drive is essential, for obvious reasons, so your 2GB HDD is way too small. Installing Knoppix onto the HDD will take up 2GB of disk space and that is before you start storing the music files on it. The recommended HDD size is 120GB to avoid having to upgrade later on.

Also recommended is a fast network card.

Regardless of what the article says about processor speed others may advise that your computer is too slow to run Knoppix. You will definitely need a larger hard drive though.

heni72847
10-03-2004, 09:11 PM
um... the thing is i want to find something that will run on my old computer..
hd is not a problem.. can solve that easily...
just need it to run something simple and get some music playin...

Gorela
10-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Hi Heni,

Check out Winamp (http://www.winamp.com) as they have a server version called Shoutcast. There is both a Windows and Linux version available for download.

There won't be very many (if any) linux distros that would include an MP3 player due to licencing issues. While linux will run with 32MB and less of RAM, the larger window managers (KDE & Gnome) like to have about 64MB.

There are lots of other window managers that have a substantially smaller footprint though. :)

HTH

Chilling_Silently
10-03-2004, 09:52 PM
It might be an idea to stream it across via samba/nfs etc.

Ive done that before.

You can easily run a GUI-less box and use mpg321, amongst other things.

SSH is great too, being able to control the lot remotely.

Try something like Vector or Slackware Linux....

Chill.

Graham L
12-03-2004, 02:03 PM
I'm sure that there have been MP3 jukeboxes packaged up to do just what you want. They use IR controls, and (optional) LCD display as far as I can remember. Try "MP3 jukebox linux" to Google. I'll bet that will find the goodies.

ugh1
12-03-2004, 04:40 PM
I hate to sugget it, but how about plain old DOS?

If you sound device can work from DOS, and most from that vintage would emulate a sound blaster in dos mode...

Then grab yourself one of the MANY dos based mp3 players that are around.

Heck, I was playing mp3 files in DOS before win3.x became the hot thing..

Chilling_Silently
12-03-2004, 06:22 PM
> I hate to sugget it, but how about plain old DOS?

Because its much easier to do in Linux
You can ssh into it also if you have a LAN card ;-)

Beats trying to setup / configure telnet on an MS-Dos box :p

Chill.

Susan B
12-03-2004, 08:47 PM
> Heck, I was playing mp3 files in DOS before win3.x became the hot thing..

Are you pulling our legs? I wouldn't have thought that MP3 files were around in DOS days. :D

ugh1
12-03-2004, 09:27 PM
> > I hate to sugget it, but how about plain old DOS?
>
> Because its much easier to do in Linux
> You can ssh into it also if you have a LAN card ;-)

DOS has TCP/IP networking available, I use it for a couple of PCs.
You can browse it / mount it from windows.
I would think installing DOS is far simpler then Linux and you can do the job with a couple of megs and that includes the OS compaired to 10+megs for Linux.
>
> Beats trying to setup / configure telnet on an MS-Dos
> box :p

You dont need to, just browse your network and copy your files over, or get them from another PC via the network.

modplayer, which was the most common player in the DOS days supported playlists and a handy lock file system for updating the files in a directory.

>
>
> Chill.

For example see http://www.micosyen.com/mp3.php

Gorela
12-03-2004, 09:28 PM
As Graham mentioned, there is at least one linux distro specific to multi-media playback. You could check out GeeXbox (http://www.geexbox.org) that seems to be similar to what you are after.

ugh1
12-03-2004, 09:31 PM
> > Heck, I was playing mp3 files in DOS before win3.x
> became the hot thing..
>
> Are you pulling our legs? I wouldn't have thought
> that MP3 files were around in DOS days. :D

They were, although the quality was limited by hardware and producing them was a pain in the behind!!!

To give you an idea I had an old 286 with 1Meg of RAM and a soundblaster, the 8bit one, that I would play a few on.