PDA

View Full Version : D-Link Modem problems

Scouse
10-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi Folks
Using a D-Link DFM-560E external modem with OE6 on XP Pro.
Of recent times an attempt to go on line gets a message that "modem cannot be found. May not have been switched off properly or not connected, etc." Two-three-even five - attempts and somehow the
sytem finds the modem. Though on a couple of occasion I have had to restart the system. All wiring checked and okay, system tells me that the modem is working well - and it does, occasionally. Any ideas?

godfather
10-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Sounds more like a cable, power or port problem.

If the modem is not powered up, you may often need to retart the PC, as sometimes Windows deactivates the port.

If the serial cable or port is intermittent, then that will cause a modem not found message as well.

The DFM-560E is a very reliable modem usually

Scouse
10-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi GF Appreciate your response. Modem sits a shows its poer light all the time. The various cables look to be in good physical condition and plug ends are a good fit etc. How can I check the serial cable or port intermittent question? Thanks

wotz
10-03-2004, 11:39 AM
I'm having trouble with a Dlink 504 dsl modem too. It just stops working and needs to be reset.

Mzee
12-03-2004, 03:03 PM
I also had probems with the D-Link modem & it went in the bin where it belongs ;)

Scouse
12-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Hi mzee.
Care to enlarge on your comment? D-Link modem & it went in the bin where it belongs Reasons?
See comment of Grandfather earlier.... The DFM-560E is a very reliable modem usually Thanks

godfather
12-03-2004, 03:44 PM
The D-Link external hardware modems that Scouse is referring to are of very good quality.

That you chose to dump one of them, Mzee, does not reflect my experience with many hundred of them. Its more likely to be a computer side problem, unless physical damage (lightning or EPR damage) has occured to the modem.

I used to buy them 100 at a time for use in stand alone commercial comms situations and they are all still going today.

ugh1
12-03-2004, 04:23 PM
What other things do you have running on the PC while you are trying to dial up??

Sadly windows puts a very low priority on the serial port and it is not un-common on lower speced PCs to have time-out issues.

Perhapes someone can point you to how to change the serial port timeouts etc. and see if that fixes your problem.

Also check the obvious that you are using hardware handshaking etc...

Susan B
12-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Scouse, how old is the modem? Have you given D-Link a call about it? Maybe the powerpack is on the way out?

Scouse
13-03-2004, 10:15 AM
H Folks Thanks Susan. It would be at least two years old. I'm hoping to borrow a similar model next week to try it on my system. If that works okay I may well then commit mine to the deep. Thanks all.

Scouse
14-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Hi Godfather, Mzee, Susan, Ugh1 and wotz. Appreciate your time and interest. Looks like problem solved. In OE, under Tools/Accounts/Properties the Server details and incoming and outgoing Port numbers were completely wrong - as though someone had been in and changed them. Talked with Xtra's team and they suggested that when I deleted Nortons it may have created this mess. Anyway, with all the details set back and the Port details restored, all appears to be running sweet for the last 24 hours. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.