PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to return to normal after reformatting

write-click
09-03-2004, 07:00 PM
I had major problems and have just had my computer reformatted. All is fine (i.e. it works now!), but everything is HUGE! My display on my welcome screen (where you click on the user, etc.) is about double the size it was before, and even in Outlook Express, all the icons, folders, etc. are much larger. I know there is a simple way to correct this, but I'll be blowed if I can remember how! I have tried searching for the answer but haven't had any success so far. I found how to turn off the modem connecting noise, but this is also bugging me! Help gratefully appreciated, thanks in advance!

nadius
09-03-2004, 07:14 PM
maybe the screen resolution is too low.

right-click on the desktop, select properties, and then the settings tab. now change it to what you like. at a guess maybe you're used to 1024x768 pixels.

godfather
09-03-2004, 07:15 PM
You need to reload the video drivers (and all drivers actually) now.

If you have a disk that came with the PC ("mainboard utilities?" or know the make and model of the motherboard, you can download them.

After you have the drivers loaded right click on the empty part of the opening desktop and select "properties", "settings". Set the screen resolution higher (its probably 640 x 480 now) and colour quality higher.

Try it before you look for drivers, in case it is happy with the Windows ones anyway, and just needs setting.

write-click
09-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks you two, I tried changing the pixel size but that made it too small and there didn't seem to be an intermediate setting. Unfortunately the computer came from the PC Co two years ago and pretty much everything was loaded on it when I got it (including Word, which has now disappeared...), so I don't really know about the motherboard/drivers, etc. I've emailed the guy who did it for me so hopefully he can help as I'm a bit inexperienced in this area but I want everything to look the same again!

godfather
09-03-2004, 07:31 PM
You will need the right driver by the sound of it.

Did you reformat and reinstall using the PC Co disks? as these should have restored the drivers (and Word) as well.

write-click
09-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Hi Godfather, yes, I gave the recovery disk to the guy who reformatted it, but so far I haven't heard back from him about what has happened to Word. I have disks for all the other software I loaded, but that was on it when I got the computer and I REALLY need it NOW! I'll give him a call tomorrow as I can't access anything I've saved as it only opens in WordPad, which is no good when you need formatting and reviewing toolbars, etc! These things are sent to try us, so far we've had floods and wind, I'm preparing for the locusts and rats next!

drcspy
10-03-2004, 07:11 AM
well in my experience pc company 'restore' disks usjally only contain the operating system and damn all else........so you will have lost your video drivers and also any programs which were installed like 'word' for instance............that's an 'add on' program and you will need to buy a copy of ms office in order to install it...........

Murray P
10-03-2004, 08:15 AM
Get a copy of Aida or Sisoft Sandra (have a look at your PC World cover discs or download) and identify your motherboard and video. From there download the correct drivers (for your revision and OS) and install. See if there is a downloadable manual availible for the motherboard while your at it and don't bother with BIOS files.

Cheers Murray P

write-click
10-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks everyone who sent in some advice. I got hold of the guy who fixed the computer and he told me how to change the settings, plus I posted to PressF1 again and got advice on another matter, so all is looking normal again! I had the disks for Microsoft Works Suite and hadn't realised they contained Word as well (you can tell I'm not the type of person who fiddles with their computer once they get it!), so all that is back up and running again too. All updates downloaded, all antivirus updated, all fingers crossed I can have some trouble-free computer use now!