PDA

View Full Version : SSH client for Windows that supports X forwarding

Chilling_Silently
09-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Greetings,

Im just wondering if there is such a client available...

We dont have any Linux boxes here at work (Yet...) but there are times when I could really do with checking my emails via ssh. Ive done it at home between PC's, and I can successfully ssh into my PC from the Web, so Im assuming I just now need a client for Windows.

Ive heard Cygwin mentioned a few times, but wouldnt have a clue if that's what I need?

Cheers

Chill.

ilikelinux
09-03-2004, 04:33 PM
ssh client for windows....

Ummm, Putty
no honestly putty.

bmason
09-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Cygwin is a collection of unix/linux software ported to windows. The cygwin version of ssh supports everything the linux one supports including X forwarding (and tunneling of other protocols).

But to actually use it you will need an X Server installed on the windows box. The only decent free one I know if is the port of XFree that is part of cygwin. It also has the advantage of working almost exactly like the *nix version.

If installing the cygwin collection isn;t an option you could use PuTTY and another Xserver. There is a java based server called weirdX (IIRC) which is limited but may work.

Then to run apps you start the Xserver, ssh into the host with X forwarding on, and run xterm or whatever.

Its really quite neat once you get it working. I once had netscape mail & emacs running over dialup to a uni tru64 machine. Just.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
09-03-2004, 11:02 PM
> ssh client for windows....
>
> Ummm, Putty
> no honestly putty.

This man speaketh the truth. PuTTY is great.

CygWin is an entire Unix style environment for Windows, almost a psuedo VMWare style thing.

PoWa
09-03-2004, 11:40 PM
At Tec we use XWin32 and SSH to connect to a linux computer so we can do programming in linux. I'd have to have a look what ssh client it is, but extremely easy to set up.

Chilling_Silently
09-03-2004, 11:48 PM
> This man speaketh the truth. PuTTY is great.

Ive been using PuTTY for over a year. The latest release is nice because ssh is the default protocol.

PuTTY doesnt do X forwarding, which (As mentioned in the Subject line) is what Im after.....

bmason>
Thanks man, I'll have a look into that tomorrow at work, there's no windows boxes here to play with ;-)

Does anybody else have any ideas?

Cheers

Chill.

Graham L
10-03-2004, 12:31 PM
VNC. ;-)

Chilling_Silently
10-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Ah yeah......

Might be a better solution :-)

Thanks Graham, I'll have a play with krdc later tonight :-)

Chill.

bmason
10-03-2004, 01:53 PM
> PuTTY doesnt do X forwarding, which (As mentioned in
> the Subject line) is what Im after.....

Yes it does. Have a look under the tunnels section in the setup. If its not there try updating.