PDA

View Full Version : Word97 & XP not working

Thomas01
09-03-2004, 03:06 PM
My nice new laptop runs XP.
A novel I am writing (watch out - its going to be a best seller, no point otherwise!), has to be in WORD format. I use WORD97.
OK but when I try to save the document - it crashes every time. In fact it only saves the first letter of the file name I have given it.
MS have informed me that they will talk me through the fault for a minimum of $35 - gosh they are generous. However I regret that I told them what to do - I would swop to WORD PERFECT. But really I would like to know how to correct the fault. I have of course already tried running WORD in windows95 and windows98 configuration - but no joy - absolutely no difference.

godfather
09-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Firstly. my experience is that Word 97 runs just fine on XP. No need for compatability.

Enable viewing of all files and folders, and system files under search.

Do not have Word running

Then search for and delete all instances of "normal.dot". There must be at least one, if you cannot find it then you have not enabled the options correctly.

Normal.dot is the default template that Word uses for all new documents, and corruption ic common. If the template does not exist when Word runs, a new clean one with standard defaults is created.

Then open a new document in Word and try again.

Any existing documents created under the old existence of normal.dot could be corrupt also. Suggest copy and paste-special - unformatted text to a ne document.

mikebartnz
10-03-2004, 12:11 AM
You can pick up Corel Wordperfect office 2000 for around $25 plus GST and Shipping. If you are truely writing a novel as when it comes to comprehensive documents Wordperfect runs rings around Word. In my opinion Word is only a step above Wordpad.

Fire-and-Ice
10-03-2004, 08:30 AM
> when it comes to comprehensive documents Wordperfect runs rings around Word. In my opinion Word is only a step above Wordpad.

Can you elaborate on that opinion please? In what way, exactly, is Wordperfect better than Word?

I can't really agree that Word is only a step above Wordpad but I am intrigued at how Wordperfect is a lot better.

Mzee
10-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Why spend money?

Install "Open Office" for free, it does everything that "Microsoft Office" does, and is compatable with all the Microsoft formats.

I used to have Word 97 on XP & it gave a lot of bother (Word 2000 is OK).

If you are not using graphics etc, just text, you can use "Word Pad" (used to be Write) which is in XP, Start/programs/accessories.
Word Pad reads & saves .doc format.

mikebartnz
11-03-2004, 04:23 AM
I wish I could remember the site I visited years ago because it is responsible for my love of WP over Word.
Tables, graphics there are a whole range of things that are easier to manipulate in WP than Word. WP is just more logical. For instance WP's Make it fit is under the Format menu which it should be but Word puts Shrink to fit under the Print preview screen. It took me ages to find it because it was so illogical. It is a Formatting issue for gods sake.

mikebartnz
11-03-2004, 04:26 AM
>Install "Open Office" for free, it does everything that "Microsoft Office" does
Is that a good thing.
I just regret that MS put the spanner in the works and WP pulled their Linux version.

mikebartnz
11-03-2004, 04:28 AM
Why does Word corrupt it's template so often?

Susan B
11-03-2004, 09:47 AM
Interesting stuff Mike. What version of Word Perfect are you using? I have an old copy here but I never did use it much as I actually found Word to be more logical, probably because I started with Works word processor and Word is a step up from that.

> Why does Word corrupt it's template so often?

Same reason that Windows does I guess. :D

Mzee
15-03-2004, 02:28 PM
I use a brilliant program called "Word Express V2"
You can make tables, insert graphics, print in columns etc.
Very user friendly. The best thing about it is that you can alter everything at any time. You can pile everything on top of each other if you wish to:)

The whole thing fits on 3 floppies and works in any Windows. It is completely independant of Windows, has all its own dll's etc.

If you do a Google you will find it on the Net for download.