PDA

View Full Version : Nero 5 versus Nero 6

Scouse
08-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Hi Folks. Eventually treated myself to a Dvd Writer. I comes with Nero 6 OEM Suite 1. I already have Nero 5.5.10 which came bundled some time ago with a CD Writer. Question: Do I have to upgrade to make best use of the DVD? I'm quite happy with the job that Nero 5 has been doing with CD's and see little point i changing if not necessary. Thanks

drcspy
08-03-2004, 09:54 PM
correct me if I"m wrong but I dont believe nero5 burns dvd

Odin
08-03-2004, 10:03 PM
Yep Nero 5 does burn DVD but you need to upgrade it for free to version 5.5 onwards

Shortstop
08-03-2004, 10:27 PM
As far as I can tell the chief difference with Nero 6 is the addition of the SoundTrax app which enables multi-tracking. Great fun if you're into it, otherwise upgrading doesn't really seem to be necessary if your burner is supported by your current version.

Scouse
10-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Hi folks
Thanks for joining the thread. You were right drcspy - my version of Nero 5 did not support DVD writing. So, loaded the supplied OEM Nero 6.
However, when doing backup, the system allows me to sort what I want, does a head count and tells me the final total - then I don't seem to get it to address the DVD. Just hangs. Using XP Pro, have a CD writer and now the DVD writer. Any ideas?

andy
10-03-2004, 08:21 PM
The problem could be this - the version of Nero that comes with any drive (and Adaptec software seems to be the same) is nobled so that it only works with the writer it was supplied with. The version your DVD writer came with will only see your DVD writer, the version that your CD writer came with will only see the CD writer. As far as I am aware, if you want to use both in the same machine, you will have to purchase the full un-nobled version of Nero. This will be an advantage anyway as the version that comes with new writers is a grossly cut down piece of software that only has Nero express, not the full bells and whistles set of utilities.

andy
10-03-2004, 08:24 PM
In addition, the DVD version may be seeing the CD writer first, recognising that it is not the drive it was supplied with, and ignoring the DVD drive (is the DVD writer the slave on the IDE line?)