PDA

View Full Version : Explorer.exe

agent_24
08-03-2004, 08:04 PM
Hello everyone. guess what my problem is? thats right - explorer.exe is crashing more than usual (oh well, typical XP). Anway, if anyone knows about this, and can help, please do - it will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

drcspy
08-03-2004, 08:23 PM
dunno bout 'typical xp' i'm runnin xp and I reckon its one of the better os's I've come across............anyway are you meaning explorer.exe or IE explorer........I guessing you mean windoze explorer........try this......

start/run type in sfc /scannow then hit enter

this'll run a check to see if any system files haev been damaged
a little more info may help here too .......is it the old illegal operation ?...and if so can you tell any details ?

godfather
08-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Start with a System File Check.

Start - Run - sfc <space> /scannow

godfather
08-03-2004, 08:24 PM
snap!

drcspy
08-03-2004, 09:40 PM
lol

agent_24
08-03-2004, 10:33 PM
umm, it can be 1 of three things:

Illegal operation and has to shut itself down
or
"the memory referenced at whatsitsface reffers to memory at something: the memory could not be "read" "
or
Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to die, we like causing inconveniences

(although usually when it does the last one, IE dies as well)

anway, im running XP home, and i had installed XPSP1a at the start of this year (for the USB 2 driver), and hadnt had too much trouble with explorer until now.

but, when i run sfc /scannow, it asks me to insert my XP Pro SP1 CD, which i Don't actually have.....

all i have is XP home with no SP1.. microsoft are just cool

beama
08-03-2004, 11:39 PM
you will find a folder called sp1 in the windows directory try pointing sfc at that when it asks for that cd

tmrafi
08-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Did you add RAM recently? If so move the newly added RAM to the 3rd slot. Memory interleaving may some times lead to applications crashing intermittently.

Cheers