PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD-RW combo problems

Nodrog
08-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Recently installed a BTC combo drive in my system running xp. Installation went as expected. Installed the version of nero, all fine. Now if I put an audio cd in the drive reads it ok, if I put a data cd in the drive light flashes on and off and so does the hd light. The drive will show folders and files on the cd but wont allow auto run to load it. Also takes ages (10 seconds or so) The error message is as follows "D:Autorun.exe is not a valid Win32 application. Another message that just appeared recently "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"
I have checked all cables and connections numerous times, they are the correct orientation on the m/b and drive.
Help please, I need to finish my assignment and this is very frustrating.

CYaBro
08-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Sounds like, to me, that the drive may be faulty.

Have you tried a few different data CD's? (ones that you know work OK in another drive)

Is the drive new/under warranty? If so, take it back to where you bought it from and get them to test it in one of their PC's. It shouldn't take them long to do that.

Nodrog
08-03-2004, 05:25 PM
I have been supplied with a replacement and the problem persists.

tweak\'e
08-03-2004, 05:52 PM
what OS??

what ver of nero?

what aspi drivers are installed? (nero info tool will tell you)

tmrafi
08-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Have you connected the DVD/CDRW drive and harddisk to different ide cables? You will get problems if you connected them to the same ide cable as the Harddisks are UDMA 100/133 nowadays and the CD/DVD drives are Multiword DMA. They cannot co-exist on the same cable.

metla
08-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Got a link for that?

first i have heard of Multiword DMA.

metla
08-03-2004, 11:56 PM
hmmmmm.

Since multiword DMA transfers are more efficient, and also have higher maximum transfer rates, single word DMA modes were quickly abandoned after ATA-2 was widely adopted--they were actually removed from the ATA standards in ATA-3. So all DMA accesses today (including Ultra DMA) are actually multiword; the term "multiword" is now often assumed and no longer specifically mentioned.

tmrafi
09-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Screenshots from my Machine
HDD setting (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/screen1.gif)
DVD setting (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/screen2.gif)

Cheers Metla

metla
09-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Interesting.

Nodrog
09-03-2004, 07:25 AM
I'm using xp prof, nero express 6. The drives are on seperate cables.