PDA

View Full Version : downloaders without spyware



fern
08-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Can anyone recommend a good free downloader that does not have spyware. Or failing that what are the recommended ones these days.

fern

Obelix
08-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Kazaa Lite

Shareaza

stu140103
08-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Flash Get

Fire-and-Ice
08-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Ordinary downloaders or P2P downloaders?

Leechget and Flashget don't have any spyware and are good.

D. McG
08-03-2004, 02:26 PM
I use FreshDownload (from Freshdevices) at the moment, though I haven't seen how that compares to the others mentioned. It has no spyware and is free, but after 30 days or so you have to 'register' with just your name & e-mail address - their site's privacy policy assures that these personal details are kept secure. The only issue is that it doesn't seem to capture downloads under Mozilla Firebird, so I either have to use the older Mozilla browser or IE.

Chilling_Silently
08-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Ive used Star-Downloader and although the interface could do with a little work, its fast, effective, spy-ware free etc :-)


Chill.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
08-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Flashget is great.

The built in download manager in FireFox is also quite nice.

tweak\'e
08-03-2004, 04:55 PM
flashget is great however if installed in adware mode it installs cydoor adware/spyware. best thing to do is use it in shareware mode or install a fake cydoor file.

rodb
08-03-2004, 09:13 PM
I suggest Star Downloader.
Have used it for several years - easy to configure and very efficient.

stu140103
08-03-2004, 10:12 PM
> flashget is great however if installed in adware mode
> it installs cydoor adware/spyware. best thing to do
> is use it in shareware mode or install a fake cydoor
> file.

:O ?:|

More details Please tweak'e....

What version of flashget does this happen in?

I hope it does not have it in 1.3, or I will be piss off!!.

hamstar
09-03-2004, 12:04 AM
I use getright 4.5d... It's the only one I trust and It's good. It's shareware tho. But its a great downloader. Pause, resume. I have it set to download overnight, then disconnect and "shut down" the computer. You can change what it does when you say "shut down". Mine goes to sleep.

Also you can tell it when to wake the computer and start downloading again. Great Program.

In the p2p world. Probably KaZaA lite K++ or dirrect connect (especially PhantomDC++) are the ones I'd put my name to.

However you probably won't find K++ on the net anymore since sharman pushed the DCMA on everyone who said KaZaA lite.

Others highly recommended... Mammoth or Ares. However the DC network is probably the most robust. Less prone to network shutdowns (because there isn't one) and the clients are open source so the content industries find it very hard to bat that fly...

metla
09-03-2004, 12:09 AM
> > flashget is great however if installed in adware
> mode
> > it installs cydoor adware/spyware. best thing to
> do
> > is use it in shareware mode or install a fake
> cydoor
> > file.
>
> :O ?:|
>
> More details Please tweak'e....
>
> What version of flashget does this happen in?
>
> I hope it does not have it in 1.3, or I will be piss
> off!!.



There has been many versions of flashget,the earlier versions stopped working when cydoor was removed(thus needing a bogus entry)then they released a couple versions with no spyware at all.These didnt last long before they again re-modeled.

Pretty sure the latest versions just contain add-serving software which can easily be removed via spybot and doesn't cripple Flashget in anyway.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
09-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Woah... FlashGet 0.96 Beta 1.... it's been an age since I upgraded it...

Might stick with the on I've got, happily Spy/Ad ware free

tweak\'e
09-03-2004, 10:04 AM
exspecially for uses of opera/mozilla i would upgrade to 1.5. manly due to it being able to receive urls directly from the browser without the need of a plugin (the standard plugin is fairly limited and websites are often now ussing incorrect mime settings to bypass peoples download managers)

SKT174
09-03-2004, 10:41 AM
I use Net Transport, Freeware and supports Streaming video download

Support most protocol such as ..

HTTP / HTTPS
FTP / through SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)
MMS (Microsoft Media Services)
RTSP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol)
PNM (rename PNM to RTSP)

Gods-Hitman
09-03-2004, 05:49 PM
I like FireFox Downloaded (Comes with browzer) and to get kazaa Lite K++ use get kazaa (non like) and do a search for "kazaa lite K++" and dl it (yea this is not a link so hope im not doing any thing bad telling him/her where to get it ?:| )

fern
11-03-2004, 12:21 PM
While looking to download a couple mentioned I ended up on Cnet and they now have a secure download plug in. Does anyone know how good/safe/spyware free it is. I have downloaded from before but this is a new addition to their site.

I don't want to go near Kazaa as I have heard it has been targeted by a couple of viruses.

fern