PDA

View Full Version : Canon Digital Cameras

bonzo29
08-03-2004, 01:50 PM
I am thinking of buying a Canon A80.
Would welcome comments from anyone who has one

Bazza
08-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Hi Bonzo, It seems all day no one has responded to your question.

Maybe not many have the Canon A80 to comment. I dont, but have several others, and from what I've seen online, the A80 is good.

Have a look on sites such as:

http://www.steves-digicams

for a review & opinion of that camera, and many others.

bonzo29
09-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks Bazza, I've already had a look at recommended site but interested in what F1 posters had to say. It's fairly new(at least in NZ) and probably too early to expect a deluge of responses
Regards bonzo29

Jen C
09-03-2004, 11:29 AM
I have the Canon Powershot A70 model which is lovely to use and takes great images. The A80 (which I did consider at the time, but I only needed a 3.2 MP model), has the swing out and swivel back LCD panel. This looks really handy for those shots where the camera will not be held at eye level (above head shots etc), as you can adjust the LCD view panel so you can still see what you are framing in the shot.

The body shape of the A70 and A80 are the same, and I find the camera easy to hold with the battery area forming a hand grip. Both cameras take disposable AA alkalines as well as Ni-MH rechargeables. The menu is easy to use and there are plently of options eg sepia, black & white, movies, panoramic shots etc.

Cannot comment on the included packaged software, as I have never used it.

Canon is a well known and respected manufacturer of cameras, and their products are normally of high quality.

Two of my friends were so impressed with my A70 that they purchased the Canon Powershot A80 (they wanted a 4 MP model).

Hope this helps.

PS* with the good prices of the A80's now, I would of purchased that model instead of the A70. Shop around however as the price varies a bit (use pricespy) and you will see what the going current price is. Example (http://www.etown.co.nz/detail.asp?item=950)

John H
09-03-2004, 01:31 PM
That is a good price Jen. Photo and Video, which usually has excellent prices is selling it for $710.78

bonzo29
09-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Many thanks everyone, I've just ordered one!!!

Alasta
09-03-2004, 08:51 PM
I have an A40, which is an old 2 megapixel model, but it serves my needs fine.

I find that the shutter latency is quite bad, but otherwise, it's a superb camera. I'm sure you'll be pleased with your A80.

Graham L
10-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Of course your A80 will be "obsolete" before you have used it. Canon are planning about 20 new models this year. :D Digital cameras are worse than CPUs for this. I don't care ... I'll stick with my A40 for a long time. ;-)

But I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Canon have been making cameras for a long time. It shows.

dipstick01
10-03-2004, 01:58 PM
Remove the name Canon and insert the name of the manufacturer of your choice. Most manufacturers are planning a new product range for this year and will continue to release models throughout.

Basically buy now at the price and feature point you want, if you wait for the new models then you always be waiting.

Steve_L
10-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Bonzo, you are going to love your new A80. I have an A70 and chose it after doing lots of research and comparisons. One great feature is having AUDIO with movies, and having a choice of 3 different film resolutions. I regularly use the medium resolution and it looks fine on our 29 inch TV (or the PC screen 17in).

The Canon Powershot series was voted the best, by PC World readers, according to the recent PCW issue.

For anyone else reading this, considering buying a digital camera, I suggest that you read the recent posts under BEETLE's question here on PF1. There is LOTS of useful info....maybe it will be condensed onto the FAQs page.....?

Lastly, if you want a very small camera, the Powershot series will probabaly be too large so go for an Olympus, etc. And if you don't mind a large camera then go for the Fuji cameras with 10 or 12x optical zoom.

Steve_L

dipstick01
10-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Another to look for on special is the dscp10 from sony.

A nice compact camera with very nice pictures and 5 megapixel. It has audio with movie and also can attach audio tags to still pictures which is a nice way of putting a description to your photos.

Usually retails for around the $999 mark but as I said you will often spot it on special somewhere.

Winston001
10-03-2004, 06:53 PM
> Basically buy now at the price and feature point you
> want, if you wait for the new models then you always
> be waiting.

Clearly you are not a Calvinist, Dipstick. Patience is everything. Buying today or in 6 months is a balance between need and necessity. Actually I suspect digital cameras and the like fit into the category of "wants."

Anyway I digress. By waiting, a buyer gets the best combination of features per $ spent. My pick is still to buy a cheap digicam today and a really good one in 18 months but I agree that the point is fast approaching when it is affordable to simply buy what you want/need.

dipstick01
10-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Calvinist !!!!! how dare you call me a calvinist !!!

ummmmmm hey guys what is a calvinist?? lol

anyway the not so subtle point I was trying to make in my post was that with the rapid change of technology these days it is not just computers that is feeling the effects.

This info is from our suppliers

A 10 Terrabyte recordable DVD disc

a 2 or even 3.2 megapixel camera in a cellphone

the demise of 29" television ....... 32" widescreen will replace these (pricewise) within months. 18 months maximum.

Projection TV will be replaced by Plasma and LCD will take plasma's current market position with OELCD replacing current LCD units.

And this is just what I can remember right at this moment.

SD (Secure Digital) cards have a theoretical limit of 32GB and they believe this will be reached with the next few years.

yet if you waited for each technological marvel to hit your local shop you would be waiting a long long time as every time our reps visit there is some new marvel in the wings waiting to wow customers in search of the ever elusive $$

I still say
If you want something then buy it now with the features and $$ you want to pay.

Winston001
11-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Ultimately I agree with you. By the way, well done on your help with Elephant.

Cheers
Winston001

John H
11-03-2004, 10:52 AM
I get the Dick Smith VIP email, and oddly enough they are currently selling the A80 on special:

"Canon Powershot A80 Digital Camera $655 - V.I.P SAVING $144.00 (V.I.P normally $799.00)"

CYaBro
11-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Just found this (http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=15&id=972) and thought you might be interested.

bonzo29
11-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Yes I also got the Dick Smith e-mail must admit I'd paid $30 over the DSE offer but I'd got a 64 MB card thrown in over the boxed 32 MB.
Yes, I can already hear everyone I'll need at least a couple of 256MBS cards.

Been put shooting this morning, great fun.

John H
11-03-2004, 04:11 PM
That sounds like a significantly better deal. The 64Mb card more than covers the $30 extra.

I suppose you may be right about needing more memory, but there are a few things here - first, your setup (i.e. how flash you want your images to be), and secondly how you are going to use your camera (i.e. how far away from home or a photography shop you are going to be and therefore how often you can download the contents of your cards).

When I ran out of space when I was overseas, I just went into a camera shop and got them to burn a CD for me. It didn't cost much. However, if you are going tramping or on a yacht trip, the size of your cards could be a trifle critical!

John

dipstick01
11-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Its always nice to have plenty of room to store your piccies especially if you are running out.
If you are heading overseas or go away from civilisation for long periods of time another option to look at is a portable drive unit. The one I know of is called a phototainer and is a 20GB storage unit that takes the majority of cards including SD, Comapct Flash and Memory Stick. It has an LCD screen so you can view them if you wish and most importantly it has battery operation as well as mains power.
Sadly the one I know of is currently about $1000 but have heard rumours of a price drop from the manufacturers.

It is mainly the price that makes me hesitate on the unit as it is a brilliant idea and a very good little unit however if you are in the need for something like that I can always try and find out some more info.

And $30 to double the card is a good deal.

Fire-and-Ice
11-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Yeah, a brilliant idea but you could buy a laptop for twice that price and get double the hard drive storage plus all the other uses a laptop has. We'll just have to sit tight and wait for the price to drop I guess. ;-)

Elephant
11-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Funny you should say about the Laptop. I bought a digital camera for $2300 dollars yesterday and my Wife said she wants $2300 as well.

I ( of course ) suggested she gets a Laptop so she can play her Patience and other card games that live here on the Desktop when we go on holiday.

Do any of you PressF1 people think I had an ulterior motive? :-)

dipstick01
11-03-2004, 09:39 PM
lol........ummmm an ulterior motive elephant?? nooooooooooo I don't think that at all lol.
wink wink you should have mentioned something when ya came down and I could have had a couple of laptops "lying" around in conspicous places with various bits playing just to set the mood sort of thing.

beetle
11-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Oh you people cant be trusted..... :D

any excuse it seems to spend money..... :p

beetle

Elephant
11-03-2004, 10:58 PM
You did have Laptops lying around. Don't think I didn't notice them.... :-)

Laura
11-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Yes