PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Connection using 802.11

Raymondo
08-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Some 3 weeks ago I posted a request for info re installing an ADSL connection. I have held of ordering as I have been waiting for the new Telecom packages to become available so I still have some hardware options.
Following good advice given, I intended to go with an ethernet connection to a router however I am also considering a wireless connection. Dse products would set me back about $420 for a router and PCI wireless card. This is a little over $200 more than a cable connection, which would work in my present location, but is a relatively cheap method of future-proofing any more moves (installing new cabling into the ground floor of a 2-storey house on a concrete slab can be a difficult and expensive undertaking).
Question: Are there any known pitfalls? I had a look thru this forum and someone mentioned interference from mobile phones. Is there anyone there who is using a wireless connection and would like to make some comments on wireless vs cable? Any advice is appreciated.

Ashley Matthews
08-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Well it really comes down to what your needs are in the connection. If you ask me the best thing to do would be to buy one of those routers that have both a built in 4 port lan, and a wireless access point. That way you get the best of both worlds. What i've done is got a wireless ap, connected to a 10/100 ethernet hub. The ap is 802.11g as is the card so I can take my laptop wherever i want around the house and still have internet access.

So, as above if you are willing to spend a bit more, get one of the combo ones so that you cover yourself both ways

Ashley Matthews
08-03-2004, 08:26 AM
Oh yeah, re the second part of your question. As for pitfalls, personally i have found my wireless connecftion nothing but stable. The interference you are refering to is with high end 2.4Ghz cordless phones. Having got one of these and a 802.11g network in my house I can safely say that interference is minimal. If you do find yourself with interference then you can easily switch to a 900Mhz or 1.8Ghz phone and have no problems.

Hope this helps
Ash

John H
08-03-2004, 09:14 AM
I agree with Ashley about the combo units. A good one is the Dynalink RTA300W, which would be cheaper than the unit you are looking at. That unit is 802.11b and if you are thinking of future proofing (so much as that is possible) you may like to look at 802.11g.

Having said that, I am more than happy with 802.11b and don't see any advantages to trading up until proper broadband arrives...

I have a laptop in the house and a desktop in an outside office (the Wireless Access Point in the office is about 50yards away from where the laptop is in the house).

I found that I could not get a good connection, mainly because the office is steel clad. I mounted an outside antenna on the verandah post of the office with a cable through to the router, and now get an excellent signal. The outside antenna looks like the antenna on the WAP but it is about twice the size and more powerful.

You may have some difficulties if your access point and laptop are on different floors of a concrete floored building.

I use DECT and 900Mhz phones and have no interference problems with my 2.4Ghz WLAN. Tricky Dicky is now selling a 5.8Ghz phone - not sure what the implications are there, but certainly there is no probs with the DECT phones that maintain a wireless connection between the two buildings without interference with the WLAN (the phone base station is in the office and another handset is in the house so we can transfer incoming calls and have an intercom so I can be called in when it is gin time).

John