PDA

View Full Version : What Do SalesPersons Really Want??

Reality
07-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Enough of what Customers really want.What about salesPersons.

I have been working In The Retail Appliance Field for the last 12 years,both Internationally and Locally.What stands out above all else is that New Zealanders as buyers of any Appliance and/or product "Choose" to enter a store with "Unrealistic" expectations as far as "Service" is concerned.

1/ We are not Robots.

2/ We are not stupid.

3/ We do not take kindly to Profound Abuse.

4/ Customer 'IS NOT' always right.This is a Fallacy based on 'Presumption' NOT 'Fact'

What I have been subjected too over the last 12 years would make your Grandmother turn in her grave.

I have been Sworn at.Lambasted.Threatened.Put down.Treated like a low-life "Drongo" of society, and basically just seen as a Subordinate of Society.

As a result of this....I am now permanently on Anti-Depressants as a result of the Profound, day to day Abuse, which I receive at the hands of "Customers".Very sad:But very real ,at the same time.

And you say....Well find another job then!.Huh!......This IS my only job.I'm good at what I do and I believe I provide *GOOD* service; As a humble Servant of Society.I also repeatedly "Top Score" at random 'Mystery Shoppers' whom keep us on our toes.

I have thought about writing a letter to the President of the Retail Association to ask for MORE Protection for salespersons in the Retail Feild.But feel that this may be just wasted time,as New Zealanders by nature are VERY aggressive Shoppers.

Arrogant,Rude,Obnoxious,Demanding,Un-Realistic,uncouth and just plain "Unreal".

Its a behavioral problem that just seems to get worse and worse each year.YET! *NOTHING* is done about it?.WHY?.....Cause New Zealanders believe that if they go into a store...and things don't go there way......then Salespeople are there to be abused and treated like complete Imbeciles: Even when the Customer was Incorrect in the first place!.How "Unbalanced" can you get?.

I fully support new Legislation that Protects Salespersons RIGHTS in the Retail Shopping environment.

It cannot arrive any quicker!

metla
07-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Get off the anti-depresents,From what ive seen with freinds and family all they do is make stuff worse.

If you have issues then you have to deal with them,Legal drugs to control your head are as bad as iliegal drugs,if not worse because everybody is wrapped up in a cocoon of fantasy as its the medical profession handing them out.

Its a downward spiral unless you make a stand,drugs of any kind won't do it for you.

tweak\'e
07-03-2004, 10:40 PM
the other interesting thing i notice is if the customer thinks you work for or belong to a big company it gives them the right to abuse the hell out of the techs/sevice person. however when you do the exact same job when your not working for the company you never get the abuse.

people can be really werid at times.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
07-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Ok... this is an OT post for a kick off...

If you can get dragged that far down by your work change professions.

I'm in my 5th year of work as an IT consultant, I hate it, and at the end of this year I'll graduate from a degree and move into a completely different field that I can't get enough of.

If you are letting you work affect you so much that you require anti-depressants to live then it seems likely that there is a greater problem behind it.

Work to live, don't live to work. Your job should not affect you enough to require anti-depressants - I'd be surprised if that was the full reason, I'd say thers a solid chance there are a lot of other mitigating factors causing this. If it is the reason, see the above advice and change professions. Do something completely different, try chasing something you've always wanted to do. If it's that bad there should be no reason why you don't want to change.

I would also ask your Doctor very carefully why s/he put you on anti-depressants. I am in a second line of work where I deal with the results of these drugs repeatedly. Dr's prescribe anti-depressants as a cop-out - if you are on AD's you should be receive appropriate counselling and other assistance to resolve the problem - they shouldn't be used as a fix. Counselling etc should be used first with drugs as a last resort.

Chances are that the box of prozac/fluoxetine or whatever you're on is probably the extra box a week s/he needs to prescribe to get a drug company sponsored trip to Fiji.

As previouly mentioned, get off the AD's - they aren't going to help in the long-run.

beetle
07-03-2004, 10:45 PM
I think you were supposed to post this as OT: ???

but not every customer is like that, yes you get horrible customers, as least by the sound of it you only have to deal with them in the shop, you do not have to clean up after them.......

some people you will never satisfy, you cant please them no matter what,

others are so nice, and think whatever you do or say is great.

think about yourself, think also is being on this medication helping me??? am i becoming a robot i say im not?
i dont think you need a prop like that, some of it is mind over matter, and beleive me i know about that sort of stuff.
and if thats the only job you know fine, but there is always a retraining option no matter what age, race or creed.

take a deep breath, and learn to live again.

and yes at times life sux, make the most of what you have, as you dont know what tomorow will bring.
:)

beetle

whiskeytangofoxtrot
07-03-2004, 10:48 PM
> the other interesting thing i notice is if the
> customer thinks you work for or belong to a big
> company it gives them the right to abuse the hell out
> of the techs/sevice person. however when you do the
> exact same job when your not working for the company
> you never get the abuse.
>
> people can be really werid at times.

I concur... people take great pleasure in ripping up helpdesk people, check-out operators etc...

I can't help thinking when I watch the 28 y.o. white middle class female with the off-road buggy and the Pajero shopping cart huff and puff when her coupon special doesn't swipe up, then glare when her gold card fails to read in the scanner... making the checkout operator out to be the bane of her existence...

At no time does it occur to these people that most of these people are in the jobs as transient employment and that in 3 years time that young checkout operator will be her divorce lawyer, dentist, interior decorator etc...

Brian
07-03-2004, 10:52 PM
I hear ya Reality!

I've been in retail for the past 8 years...but I haven't faced the kind of abuse you have endured (although I have had customers try and get my attention with such greetings as "Oi!" or the classy "Hey you!"). Other staff members have been poked by customers!

The thing with NZ'ers is they expect everything for nothing...they have this expectation that somehow people in the retail industry are endowed with the ability to perform the impossible!

It's time for customers to wake up and smell the coffee! Remove the delusion that they are "always right"...and life for those serving in retail will be sweeter!

That's my two cents!

Take care!

Laura
07-03-2004, 10:52 PM
So where do you score this "Day to Day" abuse by customers? In other words, which is Rude City/Town?

And what product are you selling that makes them so aggressive? Liquor or ladies shoes?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
07-03-2004, 11:04 PM
> And what product are you selling that makes them so
> aggressive? Liquor or ladies shoes?

QUOTE:

>I have been working In The Retail Appliance Field for the last 12 years

Laura
07-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Ooops...

Sorry.

Dolby Digital
07-03-2004, 11:36 PM
>>Dr's prescribe anti-depressants as a cop-out.
Is that right... Although we live in a "quick fix" society, sometimes anti-depressants are prescribed for good reason. This is a computer forum and although Reality was honest about his situation, you have to be careful about dishing about advice of this nature (I do agree about getting counselling though).

sam m
07-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately we are all guilty for the animal we now call "the consumer"
With consumer watch groups, fair go style programmes, 7 day a week shopping we have pushed the pendulum too far.
Dont get me wrong I do think that consumer support is necessary as we do need to be informed.

Once we were humble people who would take any service as good service and would appreciate the slightest resemblence of civility when the control was with retailer and consumers were competing with each other for their product.

We are now consumer animals and where as before we would ask for service, now we DEMAND it. Unfortunately to such a degree that we forget that salespeople are just that people.

Like any shift in power the pendulum will settle (I hope) and we may again regain our sense of civility and start to respect those that merely wish to help, and often do it not out of choice but out of necessity.

I work in the service industry and I have notice that kiwi consumers are still locked in the Tall Poppy Syndrome. They tend to take on the Goliath with the fervour of battle without considering the feelings of the employee.

I would say that if you have reached this point where it is necessary to vent on this message board that you have been holding this for a while. I agree with others here that if prescriptions are needed to maintain your sanity then it is not worth it. I would however say that with your experience in this field why not look at some sort of position where you train others to reach the high level of customers service that you pride yourself with.

good luck

Lohsing
07-03-2004, 11:58 PM
> I have been working In The Retail Appliance Field for
> the last 12 years,both Internationally and
> Locally.What stands out above all else is that New
> Zealanders as buyers of any Appliance and/or product
> "Choose" to enter a store with "Unrealistic"
> expectations as far as "Service" is concerned.

Firstly, when I walk into a store, I expect to be acknowledged within 1 minute, and approached within 2 minutes. Simple rule I was taught when I worked at Hallensteins back in 1995 while at Uni.

> 4/ Customer 'IS NOT' always right.This is a Fallacy
> based on 'Presumption' NOT 'Fact'

snip

> Arrogant,Rude,Obnoxious,Demanding,Un-Realistic,uncouth
> and just plain "Unreal".

This I have a problem with. Your point 4 indicates that it's a "fallacy based on presumption, not fact..." and then you follow it up with that comment...

Secondly, it doesn't matter whether a customer is right or wrong - your job should not differentiate between that.

Your job is to resolve any issue so that your customer can leave as satisfied as they possibly can be. They might be completely barking up the wrong tree, but good customer service revolves around the notion that you are there to resolve that issue, no matter how difficult the customer becomes.

Remember - empathise with the customer, but don't sympathise them. Just stick to the issue and don't let it get personal.

Part of my enjoyment from working in customer services (retail and call centre) was being able to resolve difficult situations. Sure, things got pretty personal sometimes from the customer, but being able to resolve an agressive person's problems was what really gave me job satisfaction.

It sounds as if you should look at another area to work in where you aren't exposed to such bad customers?

Lo.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
08-03-2004, 12:29 AM
> you have to be careful about dishing about advice of this
> nature (I do agree about getting counselling
> though).

I'm medically trained.

Laura
08-03-2004, 01:38 AM
Sufficiently medically trained to counteract a prescription written by someone who has qualified as a doctor?

Laura
08-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Counteract should've been "countermand."

And I don't agree that tranquilisers are a cop out by doctors.

Your medical training should've taught you that the changes they make to pathways in brain functions can be valuable in many cases.

Chilling_Silently
08-03-2004, 01:54 AM
I dont think it matters if WTF is qualified or not. Its advice, and IMO good advice too!

Ive seen several Mid-life crisis' as well as a few nervous breakdown's. These people have then come to live with my family as a "safe haven" to get better at.

Im 17, yet I know that AD's are a cop-out. A quick way out of the underlying issues. Ive councelled around 20 suicidal people back to health. Alone.....

AD's are like being shot and putting a band-aid over hoping it will heal. It wont (usually), until the deeper issue is healed.

I too work in Retail. I would/could never let my job take that much of a rule over my life that I take anti-depressants. Partly because I could never take AD's anyways, but that's beside the point.

Find another job, or address the real issue at hand.
Find a job you love, and you'll never do another day of work.

Chill.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
08-03-2004, 02:02 AM
I have spent the broad end of a semester studying anti-depressants, modes of action and their effects . I routinely give drugs that the average GP wouldn't have used since their locum in a hospital and perform procedures most GP's would never have even done.

I agree that anti-depressants have their place and can be extremely effective, however they are only going to be long-term effective if coupled with other solutions.

If you'd seen the number of patients under 20 on anti-depressants that I have you'd begin to understand my viewpoint. Teenage girls in particular, what can't be fixed with a script for Fluoxetine and the contraceptive pill.

Perhaps not as a cop-out, that may not be the right wording. However they are not presribed with adequate follow up and supplementary treatment. What good is prescribing "Prozac" to a woman who lost a child without grief counselling, what good is giving it to a salesperson sick of their job without perhaps providing some de-stress solutions, or some career pathways services, or counselling. All you're doing is dulling the effects of a disorder, not treating the cause.

You will also note that I told him to discuss with his Doctor as to why he is taking them and to get off them if possible. I didn't flat-out say "hey, don't take them" as that would be irresponsible without some kind of consult.

In answer to your question, yes, my training is sufficient to countermand that, however that is not what I did or intended to do.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
08-03-2004, 02:03 AM
>
> Chill.

^^ when signing a post becomes advice :)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
08-03-2004, 02:21 AM
> It sounds as if you should look at another area to
> work in where you aren't exposed to such bad
> customers?

It's interesting though, that both working in a number of fields where a high standard of customer service is demanded, and being a customer who does expect a high level of service, the broad variation in the industry.

Myself being involved in customer service, I take extra effort to make sure I am pleasant to those who have to serve me in the reverse role. I know how nice it is to have someone take a nice attitude to receiving service, so I try to embody that when I shop.

That said, if I get treated like crap by a salesperson or other customer service person I drop all pretence of being nice about it.

I'll happily pay more for somewhere that I get good service, if a staff member in a commission environment has been good to me, I'll go back to them... it all swings in roundabouts.

So in spite of everything I've already said, alot of the job you get what you give - if you go in with a bad attitude, chances are you will be met with one coming back at you.

I have been in retail for almost 10 years, I've worked in bookstores, bars, restaraunts, wineries, hardware stores, and most recently 2 years in an IT call centre.

In all that time I can't think of too many experiences where I have been upset to the point of dwelling on it by a customer. In 2 years on the phones in IT I have only had to disconnect two calls because of torrential abuse - considering the environment I think that's a pretty good strike rate.

I watch this thread with interest...

Laura
08-03-2004, 02:26 AM
Glad we agree there's no one simple fix for depression, but a combination of the remedies mentioned.
I didn't mean to suggest pills were an anwer in themselves - and certainly go along with the importance of counselling of some kind or other.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
08-03-2004, 02:41 AM
> Glad we agree there's no one simple fix for
> depression, but a combination of the remedies
> mentioned.
> I didn't mean to suggest pills were an anwer in
> themselves - and certainly go along with the
> importance of counselling of some kind or other.

:)

JJJJJ
08-03-2004, 06:05 AM
I have never worked in retail. I have always been the customer. So. I never abuse sales people, except perhaps door to door junk merchants and unsolicited telephone callers.
I think one big reason for abuse is the fact that there is so much junk getting palmed off in stores now. The customer can not get at the manufacturer and the poor salesperson is his only choice.
Of course the "counter jumper" brings a lot of it on himself by telling blatant lies. Like " I've sold a lot of these and yours is the first one that hasn't worked properly". Or ,particularly girls, so busy yacking to each other that the customer gets ignored until they are ready. Or so called technitians who know less than I do.
Or the utterers of that phrase "Do you want fries with that?" Or try my favorite. "No fries, Just 1 Kiwi Burger please". Wait for the response,"would you like a coke with that?" No wonder customers get riled.
Or sale staff who tell you what you have asked for isn't any good and try to sell you another brand. This usualy means they don't have what you want , or that there is a bigger margin on another brand.
Of course in a lot of cases it is the boss's fault, they are just doing what they are told. BUT they are the front person so they get the blame.
I have dealt with an honest sales person,once. Years ago I bought a PC from PC Direct and it didn't work properly. I phoned their sales line and was told. "That model has a very poor mother board, send it back and we will send you a better one." I was so impressed that I bought three more comps from them over the years.
As for the poor chap (or chapess) who started this theme. If you are such a gutless wonder that you have to take drugs (of any sort) to go to work then get out of it and get another job.
Jack

zqwerty
08-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Reality has missed the point entirely, "the customer is always right". if you don't understand that you shouldn't be a salesperson.

Lohsing
08-03-2004, 09:48 AM
> Reality has missed the point entirely, "the customer
> is always right". if you don't understand that you
> shouldn't be a salesperson.

Totally... I completely agree with you.

Lo.

Murray P
08-03-2004, 10:19 AM
> As for the poor chap (or chapess) who started this theme. If you are such a > gutless wonder that you have to take drugs (of any sort) to go to work then > get out of it and get another job.

>> "the customer is always right". if you don't understand that you shouldn't
>> be a salesperson.

>>> Totally... I completely agree with you.

All the tact of a bunch of young hefer's in a china shop.

Whatever the originator of this threads motivation for posting, most of the reply's to this thread are conjecture, sensible conjecture at times but, still with no basis upon which to make judgments. No one here knows what road has brought the original poster to the point he/she is at in their work or personal life. Anything other than constructive comment, IMHO, is unhelpful and presumptuous.

Cheers Murray P

Dolby Digital
08-03-2004, 10:45 AM
>>If you are such a gutless wonder that you have to take drugs (of any sort)
Go and stick your head in the sand!! Just because society in general uses drugs instead of facing problems, doesn't mean that prescription drugs are a cop out. They have their place.

Chilling_Silently
08-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Yes Dolby, I agree they have their place.

They are not a long-term solution however, and quite often there are underlying issues!

I personally dont care if the customer is right or wrong. When a customer is trying to tell you something (Such as in one case a customer tried to tell me that Celeron's were the best CPU on the Market) and they end up saying that to you when you challenge their ideas (They didnt want to purchase a PC with a Pentium 4 CPU and insisted on a Celeron because it would be faster, I attempted to explain otherwise), then that really aggrivates the seller, as well as showing ignorance on the customers behalf.

Sure, if you start a heated debate with every customer that walks through the shop doors you'll have none left, but I would debate that theory. How about this:
"The customer should always leave feeling satisfied with their time spent at your shop, or purchasing products from you"

(Some) New Zealand shoppers can be real @$$holes at times

Chill.

JJJJJ
08-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Yes Chill. Some NZ shoppers can be real ********* at times.
BUT All shop assistants (??) are real ********* all the time.
Jack

dipstick01
08-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Time to calm things down a bit guys.

We are getting off track and starting to get personal which gets us nowhere.

As you can guess from the first post I started I am a salesperson and have been involved in sales my whole working life apart from 3 happy years driving trucks.

There are good and bad customers and salepeople and we all know this well what we don't know is what has happened to people before we talk to them. For all we know they have had something bad or nasty just happen and human nature takes over.

I think the Retail market has changed drastically over the past few years and not for the best. I personally am looking at leaving Retail as are at least 7 others in the same industry (appliance) that I know of locally. Some have been selling for nearly 30 years and are feeling the same way.

What I want from a customer?? A smile and pleasant conversation will do me. I always go out of my way to help a pleasant customer and always will.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
08-03-2004, 12:00 PM
> Yes Chill. Some NZ shoppers can be real ********* at
> times.
> BUT All shop assistants (??) are real ********* all
> the time.
> Jack

No.

Jen C
08-03-2004, 12:06 PM
I think the golden rule here is:

Treat others how you would like to be treated yourself

beetle
08-03-2004, 12:13 PM
hi

I think in this case we should all Agree that we do Disagree, we all have opinions and no two are exactly alike.

being honest is fine, but when its rude or hurtful that is a low blow for any one regardless if they salesperson or customer.

also no i dont think AD's all the be all and end all, but with help and concelling any one can over come a situation that is harmful.
take it slowly and one day at a time.

who cares what other people think, its there problem if they are jerk's.

hope things get sorted for you soon Reality, remember to look after yourself, take time out or time off from work.

get back to basic's and learn to relax.

think about what you really want to be doing with your life.
whether it be stay in same job or change of career or even a town.
talk to your Dr, or a helpline if possible, if it gets that stressful, let it out, bottling things up is bad for the mind and body.

hope you have a nice day today,
thinking of you.

beetle

Chilling_Silently
08-03-2004, 01:13 PM
> I think the golden rule here is:
>
> Treat others how you would like to be treated
> yourself

Bingo!

Well said Jen :-)

revspecies116
08-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Hi Guys

I don't do sales people.

If they ask me 'would you like any help?',
I walk right out the door. If I want help,
I'll go to them.

Also fast food places, if I am not served
within 5 minutes before ordering my food,
I walk right back out again. KFC is a prime
example of where I do this the most.

Rev Species 116

whiskeytangofoxtrot
08-03-2004, 02:50 PM
> If they ask me 'would you like any help?',
> I walk right out the door. If I want help,
> I'll go to them.

Thats a great attitude.... so I guess you'd be one of the customers that causes the aforementioned problems?

Reality
08-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Hi:)

Thankyou so much for your replies.

I did not intend to reply at all, to any of the Aforesaid replys.What has compelled me to do so; Is the sheer volume of advise given.

This post was my view on why there is an 'Urgent' need for legislation at either Local level or Government level to protect Retail Salespersons Livelihood.WHY?.

I have seen 5 very good colleagues of mine choose to resign from the Company that I work for [within 2 yrs] for the very same reasons outlined in my original post.Most admittedly going to work as Sales Reps for Appliance Manufacturers.They call on Appliance Retailers and deal only with Retailers not generally the public.Yes: This is something I could look at,but for now my budget only allows me to live and work in a Provincial City.That being Tauranga.And as I only get paid $9 per hour 'gross' [My Retainer] + commission [which amounts to around $80 per wk] 'gross' ....with a 45 hr wk,my fortnightly pay after tax only just pays my bills and food.Thats all.

Customers assume that if I sell a fridge to them valued at $1699.00 that I earn at least $50.00 commission.<---[Quote from a customer] This is a fallacy.My commission is $5.00.

Yet for that sale, I have been 'Hammered' for discount,threatened with the Fair Trading Act.Had the Consumer Magazine shoved under my nose, and been quoted with the Consumer Guarantees Act and advise from the Commerce Commision.Then if I don't comply with these 'Demands' The response I get is....We'll take this to Fair Go!.Strange: But True!.

I chose Antidepressants not as a 'Cop Out' ,because I'm a weak minded individual.But because in consultation with a Psychologist and my own GP the option for utilizing this med, was recommended for me.I chose to go with that advise.Yes!, I plan to go of this med,but the time is not right at present.

Thanks to Jen C Quote: Treat People the way you yourself would like to be treated. Very true:)

If someone "Bites" me then I can only Bite back Twice as hard.Usually it has the desired effect.Even though only as a last resort.

This is my last post.

Scouse
08-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Kind of sad really. Guy opens his mouth, sort of sticks his neck out, on what appears to be almost his first post and *POW* he gets both barrels. If he had some problems before, now that a number of people have shat on his post he'll certainly have a few more. Quote This is my last post.

metla
08-03-2004, 09:27 PM
>I have seen 5 very good colleagues of mine choose to resign from the Company that I work for [within 2 yrs]

Ok,ive worked with near on 100 odd people who have resigned,been hurt,been sacked,had breakdowns,been layed off....etc etc.

I can garentee that salesman is one of the easist numbers out there.

Provided you can sell stuff of course.

Sb0h
08-03-2004, 09:38 PM
All very interesting viewpoints. Self-employed I AM my company's salesperson and have had my share of "difficult" customers. I always think the best way to exact your revenge on these people is to take their money off them. :-)

Murray P
08-03-2004, 11:50 PM
> Ok,ive worked with near on 100 odd people who have
> resigned,been hurt,been sacked,had breakdowns,been
> layed off....etc etc.

That's an awful lot of people with screwed up lives metla. You haven't considered immigrating have you ]:) with that sort of effect I'm sure the whole country would be better off. Now all we have to do is decide what one ;)

Cheers Murray P

PS. When you leave, could it be via Auckland, please :D

metla
09-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Hate to tell you this........But i witnessed that while working on large construction sites in Aussie.There was 2000 of us onsite at The Sydney airport reconstuction alone.

And at one or 2 smaller companies where bosses were particly.......stark raving mad.

Im talking leaping in the air,red in the face,throwing people around,cracking people over the head,treat like dirt stark raving mad.

Ive never known so many cronic alcholics to be in charge of companies,and never seen workers treated so badly.

working for a union controlled company sure was sweet though,big dollars....and complety unable to fire anyone.

Bazza
09-03-2004, 12:16 AM
What a wonderful thread this is. Poor Reality. So many opinions & advice.

I am in awe of WFT's experience & advice.

He has told us that : Quote........

"I'm a 5th year IT consultant, about to graduate with a degree.

In a second line of work, dealing with antidepressant drugs.

I'm medically trained, & having a semester studying AD drugs.

I give drugs that the average GP wouldn't have used.

I've been in retail almost 10 years - worked in bookstores, bars, restaurants, wineries, and hardware, plus 2 years in IT call centre."

The experience is amazing WFT. How do you fit it all in. We are impressed.

But yes, I also have medical qualifications, and can advise that if one is on an AD, dont stop without consulting the Dr, who should advise to carefully reduce the doseage slowly.

metla
09-03-2004, 12:19 AM
I have a first aid cert,does that count?

I find it nearly as worthless as my A+ cert,but not quite.

Murray P
09-03-2004, 12:27 AM
> Hate to tell you this........But i witnessed that
> while working on large construction sites in
> Aussie.

Bugger! You've spoiled it now.

Mind you, it must be something in the okker blood. Had experience of a foreman on a high rise who was like that. Blue was his name, red hair and thought he was pretty handy with both mouth and fists. All was ok in his world until one day he found himself flat on his back and couldn't quite figure out how he got there. Needless to say, no one else had any difficulty with how it happened, or why, and managed to recount the episode many times over to dear old Blue, just to help out as his memory seemed to have gone all to hell :D Now that I think of it, he could do the same party trick in the pub too.

Cheers Murray ;P

whiskeytangofoxtrot
09-03-2004, 12:43 AM
>
> I am in awe of WFT's experience & advice.
>

And everything that I've said is completely true.

I started IT work for a major university in 2000 completed my contract in beginning 2002 of, and am entering my 3rd year of employment with one of the biggest ISP's in New Zealand.

In 2002 I moved cities and am studying full time for a degree, whilst working hours ranging from part to full time for the ISP.

In the profession in which I have nearly completed my trainins I have given a huge range of drugs ranging from Morphine, Adrenaline, Midazolam through to Frusemide, I have spent time in theatre doing intubations and a number of other adjuncts.

I have no need to lie about my qualifications or experience on the internet to enrich my life. Everything I say I've done, I've done, and it does seem like a lot, but I've got the references and experience to prove it.

Say what you will but I quite happily know it's true. There is at least one other person on this forum who knows me off-line and is quite aware of my background and I'm sure if requested would be willing to testify to it.

Elephant
09-03-2004, 12:44 AM
> Enough of what Customers really want.What about
> salesPersons.

O.K.. Fair enough question in the first place. I will attempt to answer this. Bear in mind that this is my humble opinion only.
>
> I have been working In The Retail Appliance Field for
> the last 12 years,both Internationally and
> Locally.What stands out above all else is that New
> Zealanders as buyers of any Appliance and/or product
> "Choose" to enter a store with "Unrealistic"
> expectations as far as "Service" is concerned.
In your experience is this attitude you have described just limited to New Zealanders? Once upon a time we used to have "Service Stations." where you stop your car and someone would zip out and fill the car with petrol or diesel as the case may be. These days you fill it yourself as I don't want my petrol driven car filled with the wrong grade of petrol or even worse filled with diesel.
>
> 1/ We are not Robots.
You are just people just like me.
>
> 2/ We are not stupid.
Some salespersons are but I don't suggest you are.
>
> 3/ We do not take kindly to Profound Abuse.
Probably you wouldn't and I wouldn't. I see no reason why you ( or anyone ) needs to take abuse.
>
> 4/ Customer 'IS NOT' always right.This is a Fallacy
> based on 'Presumption' NOT 'Fact'
The one part where I will disagree. The customer is NOT always right and I know this. But you work for a living as a salesperson and whomever you work for ( and pays your wages ) has the right to dictate a policy. If you take this persons wages then you you do what He/She says and if they say jump you ask how high while on the way UP!! This has been my policy and it's why I still have a job at 61 yrs old. I just do what the Boss says even though I may from time to time disagree. Your personal opinion regarding the customer doesn't count does it.
>
> What I have been subjected too over the last 12 years
> would make your Grandmother turn in her grave.
>
> I have been Sworn at.Lambasted.Threatened.Put
> down.Treated like a low-life "Drongo" of society, and
> basically just seen as a Subordinate of Society.
>
> As a result of this....I am now permanently on
> Anti-Depressants as a result of the Profound, day to
> day Abuse, which I receive at the hands of
> "Customers".Very sad:But very real ,at the same
> time.
I hope you are not on Arapax and I feel a little sorry for you.
> And you say....Well find another job
> then!.Huh!......This IS my only job.I'm good at what
> I do and I believe I provide *GOOD* service; As a
> humble Servant of Society.I also repeatedly "Top
> Score" at random 'Mystery Shoppers' whom keep us on
> our toes.
If you are good at selling then keep selling. I would suggest that you maybe could buy your own business selling snow to Eskimoes, open a McDonalds next door to to diet club etc.

> I have thought about writing a letter to the
> President of the Retail Association to ask for MORE
> Protection for salespersons in the Retail Feild.But
> feel that this may be just wasted time,as New
> Zealanders by nature are VERY aggressive Shoppers.
>
> Arrogant,Rude,Obnoxious,Demanding,Un-Realistic,uncouth
> and just plain "Unreal".

OK. What say I have a fairly good idea of what I want.
I walk into a shop and say I want a T-shirt with a picture of a Tiger on it and you pop out of the jungle and try to sell me one with a Lion on it?

My mistake in the first place as what I usually do is walk in and have a look and if no Tigers on the T shirt I just go elsewhere. I certainly don't moan to you that you don't have the Tiger one.
>
> Its a behavioral problem that just seems to get worse
> and worse each year.YET! *NOTHING* is done about
> it?.WHY?.....Cause New Zealanders believe that if
> they go into a store...and things don't go there
> way......then Salespeople are there to be abused and
> treated like complete Imbeciles: Even when the
> Customer was Incorrect in the first place!.How
> "Unbalanced" can you get?.
Would you maybe give us examples as to how the New Zealand customer is wrong?
>
> I fully support new Legislation that Protects
> Salespersons RIGHTS in the Retail Shopping
> environment.
>
> It cannot arrive any quicker!
>

whiskeytangofoxtrot
09-03-2004, 12:46 AM
> He has told us that : Quote........

Oh also, if you are going to quote, quote accurately - rewording things as you have so kindly done can greatly alter the perception by which they are read.

JJJJJ
09-03-2004, 05:41 AM
In the early 1950's I worked for a while as a used car salesman.Those old enough will remember that you couldn't buy new cars and used ones where very hard to get.
The customer was never right. Prices were ridiculously high. And if you wanted a good car a "back hander" to the salesman was necessary. If you were rude all you got was rubbish.
Trouble is lot's of today's sales staff think things are still the same today.
Jack