PDA

View Full Version : Cannot find file "dscbp38.vbs"

Brian
07-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Hi out there in cyber space...can someone tell me what would cause the following message to appear at Start Up on Win98:

Cannot find file 'dcsbp38.vbs' (or one of its components)

How do I rectify this problem?

TIA for any help!

Brian

PoWa
07-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Sounds like something dodgy. Maybe your virus scanner cleaned it out.

Start menu-> Run -> msconfig -> Enter. Check the startup tab for anything similiar to that name in there. If there is uncheck it and that should get rid of the error.

drcspy
07-03-2004, 07:37 PM
yeh some part of the system is lookin for a .vbs file........that's a visual basic script file possible that yoru antivirus had found a virus and removed it but left some mention of it and the sysem is trying to start it up as viruses often have this behaviour of running at startup..........

try start/run/........then type in msconfig and hit enter .......then goto the startup tab and take a look to see what might be the prob and UNtick the offending thing.....

drcspy
07-03-2004, 07:38 PM
lol PoWa great minds think alike :)

PoWa
07-03-2004, 11:13 PM
lol yeah. Gotta be quick round here ;) :p

Brian
14-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Hi guys!

Just an update of how I got on.

I went to the lady and there was a new message (however, it was similar to the dsdb38.vbs message, in that it was a .vbs file).

So I did what you guys recommended (Start--->Run--->msconfig--->unchecked the offending item.) I rebooted the system hoping taht the pop-up window with the message "Cannot find *.vbs (* being the file name which I can't remember) file (or one of its components)".

Any new ideas on how to remove this message from appearing at Startup?

As always I thank you all in advance for your help!

Ta,
Brian

PoWa
14-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Download spybot and give that a run. Do a virus scan as well.

Run regedit and search for the offending file (.vbs) and delete any occurances you find.

Brian
14-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi PoWa!

Thanks for your reply! It confirms what I was contemplating doing...

I'll keep you all posted!

C ya!
Brian

drcspy
14-03-2004, 05:00 PM
try regedit/edit/find and type in dsdb38.vbs.......see how many it finds......it is probably listed in localmachine/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run .......or run once or run services

BEFORE you remove any key however, backup that branch of the reg just in case you get a prob.........

or.........maybe try re-installing the vb runtime files.........you can find a downloadable exe with all the vb6 etc runtimes on the web soemwhere.....

agent_24
14-03-2004, 06:00 PM
yea, sounds like some sort of virus or such