My daughter has just purchased From Noel Leemings, a Packard
Bell $899

2.4 intel Celeron Processor
40 gig H/D
256 ram
CD player
Win XP home
etc

The question is, that we could not find the Recovery Disc. we were informed that they are no longer supplied. The files are on the hard
Drive, and recovery is run from there. Is this now the normal procedure?

What happens if the hard drive can no longer be accessed? or needs to
be reformatted ? how can XP be put back on the system. Can the files on the hard drive be burnt to a disk to make a Recovery one? but then again this machine does not have a burner.

Sorry to sound so dumb, but all sounds a bit strange to me.

Thanks in anticipation for you comments.

tweak\'e
07-03-2004, 12:32 PM
i thought they stopped doing that.

at the very least there should be a boot disk/cd so you can boot the pc and gain access to the restore partition. personally i hate retore partitions (when the hardrive dies you have to buy a new OS as well as a hardrive). they should at least have restore cd's, but then again at $899 you get what you pay for.

Megaman
07-03-2004, 01:02 PM
thats just stupid. there should always be a restore dvd or cd included with teh computer. that, my friends, is why i never buy 'supermarket' computers

drcspy
07-03-2004, 01:27 PM
you will most likely find that those files reside on D:............ just copy em all to a cd that'll be a good way to back up the system.......or get someone you know who's a tech to make a 'ghost' image, on cd, of the drive that way EVERYthing that's on the drive at the time of the creation of the image can be restored very very fast indeed ......even to a new drive

Patt
07-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks for your usefull coments, will do same.

Thanks also to Megaman and Tweak'e for replying

Patt

Patt
08-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Hi Dryspy

Went to see my daughter yesterday, And the D: is only used for the CD
player, and there is not any other drive except C: (and floppy of course)

Can you tell me what folders I should look for on C: for the recovery files?
(if any), the next time I go to see her.

The machine is warrented for one Year, so the problems in that time is thiers, but would like to be prepared, for the time after that.

Thanks for your interest.............Patt

Peter H
08-03-2004, 10:37 AM
A quick phone call to Noel Lemmings should give you the answer.
Bye

paulw
08-03-2004, 01:50 PM
The last time I saw this was on a NEC laptop. In the owners hand book there was a section on how to burn the recovery partrition to a CDR. The recovery parition is hidden so you won't see it. After it is burnt to a CDR the space in the recovery partition is moved to the C: drive for reuse..

Patt
08-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Thanks all

Phone Noel Leemings, not much help

Managed to get Packard Bells number,which was a great help,
explained about the hidden Directory, and the making of a
recovery disk.

So thats got rid of a worry, next time I see my Daughter I will grab all the reading material and take it home and read (-: as I should have done in the first place, instead of taking notice of sales men. AH WELL

Thanks again all you nice people..............Patt

Peter H
08-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Only minor problem I see, is that your daughters comp only has a Cdr - not a writer.
Bye