PDA

View Full Version : InCd and Win XP write

bpt1
07-03-2004, 03:16 AM
I am running Win XP which I understand can copy files directly onto CDs in my CD burner. I also run Nero burning software. Do I still need InCD? Should I get rid of it. Do they both use the same format and are these CDs readable by any CD player? A few questions in one.

drcspy
07-03-2004, 06:25 AM
incd is only useful for cdrw disks which very few people seem to use now most use cdr.........as for are they readable by any cd player you mean can you play music cd's written on the puter ........yes...............IF you have written them in 'audio' format ......NOT data.......

mikebartnz
07-03-2004, 06:39 AM
Ditch InCD because you don't need something hogging resources.

Peter H
07-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Why ditch it? I removed it from startup and only open it when using Cdrw.
How can that hog resources?
Bye

bpt1
07-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks for your replies, but I was perhaps not clear enough with my questions. Can WinXP write to CDRWs, ie use a CDRW disk like a floppy? Does it use the same format as InCD? Are these CDRWs then be readable on another computer with a CD burner? I found that I could not delete files (on a CDRW) written on one computer by burning software on another? When is a CDRW disk no treadabel by a CD ROM?

Peter H
07-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Can't comment on XP, but using Incd & formatting the Cdrw, yes, they can be read by a Cdr on another computer - just like a floppy, but I don't really trust them. Far better to use a Cdr & close the session.
Bye

drcspy
07-03-2004, 03:06 PM
cdr's are sooooooooo cheap

mikebartnz
08-03-2004, 04:25 AM
XP writes to a CD so you don't need InCD and it also trashes CD's

Peter H
08-03-2004, 09:27 AM
InCD and it also trashes CD's????
Please explain a bit more - in my experience it doesn't - maybe if mis-used.
Bye

godfather
08-03-2004, 10:50 AM
I think the meaning was that InCD can be troublesome on some systems, and I can second that opinion. I would never use it or recommend it, as I have witnessed too many disasters caused by loss of data assumed to be safe.

Also as the packet writing format used with InCD and DirectCD is different to normal, the CDs cannot be read on a system not using a packet writing application.

XP buily in support does not "write directly" to the CD though, it caches the files for writing in the normal manner. This allows the use of CD-R, which are largely more reliable and portable than CD-RW.

stu140103
08-03-2004, 01:07 PM
> InCD and it also trashes CD's????
> Please explain a bit more - in my experience it
> doesn't - maybe if mis-used.

I have to agree with Peter H here, I have done one or two cds with incd with win xp on my dads computer, & we have not had this problem,( I donít think we have)

Spacemannz
15-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Ditch XP's builtin burning. Disable it. Use INCD, or DirectCD (not both at the same time). You may have probs. I use DirectCD. And disabled XP's altogether. It tends to screw things up, if it stays enabled.

XP's builtin burning doesnt support packet-writing. or formatting, if you need to format a CD. BUT if you do use CD Creator/DirectCD, make sure you install Version 5+ of it, or 6. Version 5 isnt compatible with XP.

Until you update to a later version higher than 5.

mikebartnz
16-03-2004, 02:06 AM
Once you format the CD-RW for In-CD it is totaly useless for anything else. I formatted a few CD-RW with In-CD and tried to use them in another format and was stuffed. As far as XP's use of CD's it is a little different but it works and that is something I don't say too often about a Windows product.

Ron24
16-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Thanks for that, I also formatted with incd and they wouldn't work, so I have just chucked them out.
Perhaps there is still time to retrieve them before the rubbish man comes.
Cheers Ron..

Peter H
16-03-2004, 03:18 PM
After formatting with Incd, how did you try and write to them? If you leave Incd open, you can use them as any type of drive - drag & drop - copy etc. I personally don't like Cdrw, but they do work if used correctly.
Bye

tommy
16-03-2004, 04:06 PM
I agree with Peter. InCD formats CD-RW prior to being able to be used and then allows you to use the CD-RW discs as you would a floppy disk. It may pay for you to rescue yours from the rubbish bin and try them.

mejobloggs
16-03-2004, 06:38 PM
I would also scrap InCD. I could not write any files over 380 mb onto an InCD cd. It was a bit of a nightmare, because I was trying to do backups onto it.

mikebartnz
17-03-2004, 12:25 AM
Well obviously I was trying to use them for something other than In-CD but having formatted them they became useless for anything else. In-CD works and works well but think twice before commiting a CD-RW to it especialy since XP does not need In-CD.

mikebartnz
17-03-2004, 12:26 AM
If you are using XP you don't need it full stop.......!!