PDA

View Full Version : Broadband (with a broadbrush)

Hissyfit
06-03-2004, 11:08 PM
The broadbrush approach to Broadband

This week's Asian edition of a US business publication (by McGraw-Hill) states "For about the same price, Koreans get a service that is 5 to 10 times faster" (than in the US)

A table makes the following comparions:-
Sth Korea 75% households with broadband 20 mps maximum
Canada 36% 3 mps
U S of A 18% 3 mps
Japan 14% 26 mps

How does this compare with New Zealand, Telcom ?

Maybe the states will show that it is appropriate that Telecom/Xtra's latest TV adverts use the Flintstones, mocking us (potential) customers by offering us a service that belongs in the stone age .....

As I said: this a very "Broadbrush" approach but I would wonder how NZ stacks up (or down)

sam m
06-03-2004, 11:49 PM
is there a point here?

some countries have better broadband than others? is that it?

metla
06-03-2004, 11:55 PM
The question is being asked how many Kiwi's have signed up for broadband and how that compares to overseas uptake.

geddit?

sam m
07-03-2004, 12:03 AM
and that will make a difference how?
if we have a higher or lesser percentage than others then what?

metla
07-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Its a discussion board,the thread starter has started a discussion,its purpose is to discuss the subject.

we aint finding the cure for cancer here,just helping out,giving advice,opinions and discussing computer related subjects.

And as far as i know NZ has the worst packages in the developed world,and our uptake suports that fact.

sam m
07-03-2004, 07:24 AM
>
> And as far as i know NZ has the worst packages in the
> developed world,and our uptake suports that fact.

Greece has an uptake of 1%
Italy has an uptake of 2%
Germany 3%
Finland 3.5%
Sweden 4%

Combined percentage of all OECD countries is 2.25%

Do you think if I went to one of their discussion boards they might be talking about us?

metla
07-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Well there ya go,i for one find that relativley interesting.

agent
07-03-2004, 12:39 PM
As a matter of fact, some countries do have better broadband than others.

Aside from Telescum's strangle-hold monopoly (slight exaggeration ;)) on the NZ market, there are many other contributing factors to quality of broadband services and the uptake percentage.

You have to be mindful of how the NZ economy compares to that of Asian countries that thrive on electronic gadget stuff, the population in our country, and other things (such as the fact that Koreans [Nth or Sth, take your pick, I can't remember] have the highest usage rate of internet cafes in the world).