PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot

ruup
06-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Hi,I have a friend who has joined Slingshot,mainly for the cheap toll calls but also to try out the ISP.He seems to have trouble connecting to the ISP and often it can take up to six attempts to get on the net.There is a message that it is connected and is checking password etc....but then says it has failed to establish a connection.Does anyone else out there who is using Slingshot experience anything similar ?He is running windows XP pro and IE6 with all updates...
thanks
ruup

Megaman
06-03-2004, 09:58 PM
he should phone the isp and tell them

rodb
06-03-2004, 11:21 PM
The most common reason that a connection cannot be established is that someone else is logged on using the UserID.
Do you allow anyone else to use your Slingshot account?

tweak\'e
06-03-2004, 11:52 PM
when he does get on what speed does he conect at and whats his download speed like ??

he could simply have a poor phoneline and the modem may need slowing down to suit the phone line.

ruup
07-03-2004, 08:13 AM
Hi,thanks for the replies,firstly as to ringing Slingshot,well the help desk charges per minute,so that's a last resort.Speed of connection varies from 32 to 40 kps and nobody else has the logon details.My friend previously had Xtra and none of these problems,hence my request for other users experiences.
regards,
ruup

whiskeytangofoxtrot
07-03-2004, 12:45 PM
> The most common reason that a connection cannot be
> established is that someone else is logged on using
> the UserID.

??? I doubt it...

The most common reasons are usually user error, mistyped password etc.

The 6 times that he can't connect, it should give a three digit error number like 691, 680, something like that - this should give a quick indication as to what the problem is.

If they offer a different dial-up number try that, with most ISP's a different dial-up number will connect to a different bank of hardware at the other end which can improve connection chances.

But the thing that'll help most people here is what the error message says when he can't connect.

tweak\'e
07-03-2004, 01:05 PM
with the speed going from 32 to 40 i would string the modem (eg +ms=v34 or +ms=11 it varies depending on modem). it may not help with the logon problem but it should help to rule out poor connection as a cause.

and of course the actuall error message is very hepfull :)