PDA

View Full Version : Why not a laptop cpu in a desktop??

Terry Porritt
06-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Perhaps there is something simple I've overlooked, but with all the threads on high cpu temperatures, why arent low power cool running laptop cpus put into desktops?

With desktop Athlons guzzling about 70 amps surely this would make sense? ?:|

Megaman
06-03-2004, 05:51 PM
good question. maybe the pins are in a different formation or the voltage of desktop PSUs

ilikelinux
06-03-2004, 05:51 PM
hmmmm rip out the mother board etc, and put into a custom built case

tweak\'e
06-03-2004, 06:44 PM
with some you can. i have a k62+ in a desktop. getting a mobo and bios to support it can be tricky. not to sure about newer cpu's but provided the bios supports it can't see why not.

why they don't do it ?? proberly cause hot running cpu's is not a major problem. most customers want speed not how cool it runs.

bmason
06-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Good question, I guess its because they cost more. A Pentium M based system would be very neat (nicest x86 processor around IMO, and ~20a.), but would probably faily commercially because they don't have the high clock rate of a P4.

A much cheaper & easier way to reduce the heat is to just underclock a desktop processor. IIRC the heat output drops fairly quickly and it would work in a standard systems.

BTW, the highest max current rating for an athlon I can find is 46.5a, so its not quite that bad.

DangerousDave
06-03-2004, 07:39 PM
maybe it would solve new zealands power crisis.... maybe the government could subsidies them, or they could shut down the smelter in invercargil :P

- David

Terry Porritt
06-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Thats right Brett, I was mixing up the watts and amps numbers, and just quoting from memory.

gerry0625
11-06-2005, 06:13 AM
i have a desktop AMD64-bit soket 754 i currently have the AMD Athlon3000+
on a Abit NF8-V motherboard i just got the AMD Athlon3400 ClawHammer Mobile socket 754, i was wondering if this would work in my desktop? My whole system is water cooled so figured if it worked i would beable to overclock the cpu to its max. does this sound right or am i over looking somthing? i figure the motherboard has support for the AMD Athlon 3400 Clawhammer. Only i'm using the mobile chip instead. any insight would be great. :badpc:
thanks,
Gerry0625

Metla
11-06-2005, 10:12 AM
To be honest, You will get far better information about the subject at http://www.overclockers.co.nz/

Peter H
11-06-2005, 10:25 AM
46.5 amps ???????????? Get your figures right.
Bye

Myth
11-06-2005, 10:28 AM
I think the reason most laptop CPUs won't run in a desktop is to do with the voltages required... desktop CPUs require (generally) a larger voltage, that is like to severely overheat a laptop CPU.
Generally speaking, laptop CPUs are made to use lower voltages, therefore creating less heat, but also creating less processing power.

tweak'e
11-06-2005, 11:10 AM
the desktop needs to support the processor. i see there are a few deskstop pc's that are coming out with the pentium M processors. not a bad idea, exspecially for basic workstations. it keeps the power useage and heat down to a minimum.

Terry Porritt
11-06-2005, 11:13 AM
46.5 amps ???????????? Get your figures right.
Bye

They are about right :)

This is an old posting and 40 odd amps max is about what the Athlons consumed.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_3748,00.html

Growly
11-06-2005, 12:01 PM
There have been several motherboards that have accepted the likes of Pentium Ms in the past - especially in HTPCs. You can even buy converter boards.

At the end of the day, there is simply no point - unless you have a specific need for minimal power usage and quiet running. However, putting them in a regular desktop PC would give you a performance loss for no real reason... unless you really wanted to.

tweak'e
11-06-2005, 12:34 PM
At the end of the day, there is simply no point - unless you have a specific need for minimal power usage and quiet running. However, putting them in a regular desktop PC would give you a performance loss for no real reason... unless you really wanted to.

don't forget average joe dosn't use 2ghz+ cpu to its fullest anyway. you don't need a 3ghz for email and web surfing. the performance loss will be barly noticed. look at all the people buying laptops and lot of them just stay sitting on the desk!

the big advantage of mobil proccesor is in small form factor pc's ie limited space for cooling. you can run standard pc parts in a nice small case without cooking the cpu :)

Graham L
11-06-2005, 02:40 PM
The main reason is probably just marketing. (And what consumers have been trained to want. A 386 will run Windows, handle email, and a browser. It will also run games, though not quite at the level of modern games ;)).

With laptops, the battery life, and in the opposite direction, weight) are important factors. This depends on the CPU power consumption.

A desktop is marketed on raw speed. When you are connected to Manapouri, and can keep the silicon from melting, the power used doesn't matter.

Metla
11-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Average Joe gets their comp so bogged down with spyware and Nortons that they need a 2gz machine just to read their mail.

A 386 is pushing it just a little...... :eek:

tweak'e
11-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Average Joe gets their comp so bogged down with spyware and Nortons that they need a 2gz machine just to read their mail.

and bogged down with flasher, slower windows.

what the hardware gives, the software takes away ;)