PDA

View Full Version : disabled audio hardware and DRM

chewybaca21
06-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Hi there,

I am running win2k SP4 and although not a regular WMP user, inadvertantly used it to open a freshly downloaded mp3 file. First error msg was "unsupported format", followed by no sound although the track was playing and ultimately by the unloading/uninstalling of my Cmedia audio drivers upon reboot.

Now I can't reinstall the audio drivers (BSOD) or detect my multimedia audio controller using add new hardware. Is this a symptom of Msoft's DRM in action?

Consequently, am I looking at restoring a disk image or is there some way of forcing Windows to detect my Cmedia or allowing me to reinstall drivers?

Many thanks in advance.

PoWa
06-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Did you try playing the file in another player like Winamp before uninstalling the C-Media drivers?

Sounds rather suspicious eh. Just out of interest what version of WMP? I have Win2000 SP4 at Tec with WMP9 and it still plays Mp3s fine.

chewybaca21
07-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Hi PoWa,

The Mp3 track was originally played on WMP 6.4 and sourced from a website rather than through P2P. It wasn't tagged as a rights protected track.

Couldn't test the file in another player as Win2k then uninstalled the cmedia drivers on its own volition upon reboot and now won't let me reinstall them.

I don't know if it is significant but there appears to be a Windows WDM driver/device/codec(?), visible in Safe mode but not in a normal Administrator's login, which may be the barrier.

I will attempt to uninstall the WDM in Safe mode. If that fails, I will be restoring a disk image and installing Norton GoBack to minimise downtime & frustration should this problem reoccur.

many thanks.

PoWa
07-03-2004, 02:46 PM
> I don't know if it is significant but there appears to be a Windows WDM driver/device/codec(?), visible in Safe mode but not in a normal Administrator's login, which may be the barrier.

Try removing that and re-installing the C-Media drivers under safe-mode maybe.

> If that fails, I will be restoring a disk image and installing Norton GoBack to minimise downtime & frustration should this problem reoccur.

Sounds like a good plan!