PDA

View Full Version : Dialers.....

csinclair83
06-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Hey :)
I was surfing through my program files folder looking for some macromedia software, and yeah found it...but as i was surfing i found this folder called "Dialers" and from what i know about dialers related to computers..its not a good thing so i deleted that folder, there was nothing in there anyway....and ran antivirus and ran adaware...and found nothing...is that certian meaning that theres no dialers on my computer? or is there some other software i need to run?

I'm using winxp home :)

Cheerz

Megaman
06-03-2004, 11:51 AM
for extra strengh, try spybot, search and destroy(tm) :D

mark c
06-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Well, running win98se I just ran a "find" for "dialers" and there was nothing so I guess you're alright and you can still connect. Mind you I'm still *sigh* bit of a newbie as you will see from an earlier post. :D

csinclair83
06-03-2004, 11:57 AM
hey thanks for your replies..
what i think i'd do is download spybox...where do i get that from?

and update adaware, and NAV and run all 3..one after the other to be pretty certian :)

Megaman
06-03-2004, 12:05 PM
cant remember teh site off the top of my head, try google

Megaman
06-03-2004, 12:05 PM
just remembered, try www.downloads.com

mark c
06-03-2004, 12:06 PM
http://security.kolla.de/

....is one place. And it's "Spybot" not spybox, though there may be something called that.

Spybot S & D (Search and Destroy)

THT :)

Growly
06-03-2004, 12:33 PM
he means http://www.download.com

aroc
06-03-2004, 01:14 PM
> Re: Dialers.....

An ellipsis has 3 dots ( ... ) not 4 or 5.

This is like some thread some years ago. "I have a folder called Virus on my drive but theres nothing in it. Is it safe to delete this folder? Does this mean I have a virus in my computer?"

csinclair83
06-03-2004, 02:47 PM
i'm downlaoding getright b4 downloading any software..my net keeps cutting out but its not me coz next door neighbour is having the same problem...so yeah

but aroc...what did ur posting mean...whats a ellipsis?

but with adaware and NAV everything looks all clear :)

metla
06-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Dont worry about it,when some dialers install they do so in a dialers folder,when a scan is run and your spyware program identifies the offending program(the dialer) it removed it but leaves the folder behind(the folder can't be detected as spyware,it is after all just a folder)

The fact that the folder is empty means one of your programs has done its job.