PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?

JJJJJ
06-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Microsoft OEM USB/PS2 Wireless Optical Desktop. Includes Wireless Optical Mouse & Wireless keyboard. Image
$105.78
$119.00

If it's wireless what have USB/PS2 got to do with it?????
Jack

somebody
06-03-2004, 08:08 AM
The receiver has to plug in to the PS2/USB port - keyboard receiver goes into PS2, mouse receiver goes into USB port. Although the actual mouse/keyboard is wireless, it needs to be able to send rf or infra-red signals to the computer, and to do that, it needs a receiver.

JJJJJ
06-03-2004, 08:17 AM
Oh. So they are not realy cordless?
Jack

dipstick01
06-03-2004, 08:39 AM
The keyboard and mouse are cordless however there is a receiver for the signal from mouse and keyboard. The receiver can sit somewhere nice and discrete and you don't have to worry about the wires hanging from your mouse etc when using them. Once you go "wireless" you will have difficulty going back. One thing to watch tho is battery use. Either have rechargable AA's or look for some mice that have a built in infolithium battery and come with their own charger stand to rest on.

tbacon_nz
06-03-2004, 09:26 AM
I agree with all that. I wouldn't go back now I've used a wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Also agree about getting a mouse with a charger base unit. I have a MS setup that doesn't and the batteries always seem to run out a the most inconvenient time!

JJJJJ
06-03-2004, 09:52 AM
Thamk you. Now I understand. I admit I'm a bit dense at times. I was under the impression that in some miraculous manner the mouse and keyboard talked straight to the computer. I know I'm stupid.
Roughly how long do the batteries last?
Jack

dipstick01
06-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Battery life all depends on how often the mouse is activated, I have a bluetooth setup at work here and bumping the cabinet it is located(locked away so no bugger steals them) in activates the mouse and starts to chew through the batteries. With Bluetooth you can actually eliminate wires by plugging the receiver directly into the pc (with the right adapter) and this also gives you bluetooth connectivity with other devices, cellphone etc but the price is way more expensive than either infra red ( must be line of sight to units ) or Radio Frequency ( no line of sight needed but about 3 metre range)

Megaman
06-03-2004, 12:01 PM
if i was to get a wireless mouse, i would get teh "logical" w/less mouse. when you dont use it, teh battery charges up in teh reciever

JJJJJ
06-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Who sells the "Logical Wheel Mouse" . I'm all for the one that charges itself. The thought of regularly replacing batteries doesn't thrill me very much.
I can't find one of these where I have looked.
Jack

tbacon_nz
06-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Try "Logitech" not "Logical"

PoWa
06-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Beware of those Microsoft wireless optical mice. We've got one here and its an absolute dog. Batteries are fine and everthing but every second or 3rd click you make it refuses to accept the command and does nothing. End up having to use the laptop keypad to make it accept the command. Definitely don't go with it, too unreliable. (XPM2200+ XPhome system)

Try logitech and bluetooth products.

Anyone know if that microsoft mouse mentioned above is bluetooth or some other wireless type?

Does bluetooth have a big receiver thing or just a small device sticking out of the usb/ps2 port on the machine?

tbacon_nz
06-03-2004, 06:44 PM
That has not been my experience with the MS wireless keyboard/mouse combo. It has all been very reliable for me. Do you have more than one near each other? If so, they may be interfering with each other and you may solve it by changing channels on one of them.

My only gripe about the combo is that (a) the mouse battery compartment is an absolute nail breaker to open, and the batteries are quite difficult to remove, (b) the numlock/capslock/scroll lights are on the receiver, not the keyboard, which means it has to be in sight if you use those things.

Tony B.

dipstick01
06-03-2004, 09:32 PM
I was talking about a bluetooth Microsoft mouse, I have the microsoft mouse/keyboard combo on a megabox (as reviewed in PC World) and I have set up a wireless(radio freq) combo on the bosses computer. They both are very nice units and I haven't run into the problenm you have described, in fact apart from the boss uninstalling everything and playing with the shiny buttons when the batteries died and he tried "fixing" it, they both run very nicley. The Microsoft unit does have a 30 metre range but I had trouble seeing the 30"lcd after about 4 metres. The bluetooth unit is about the size of a cigarette lighter and if you connect it into the usb base unit it is still pretty small and discrete.