PDA

View Full Version : Possible faulty new hard drive?

Chemical Ali
05-03-2004, 08:13 PM
My brother has just recently purchased a new hard drive which I installed in his computer.
PC has been working fine for the last couple of weeks but now when he tries to boot up he gets the 'blue screen of death' with "stop -- inaccessable boot device" error message -- gets past splash and boot up screens and is starting to load Windows when this happens. Rebooting does not help.
Hard drive has been detected in CMOS/BIOS
Shows in boot screen as primary device
Can't bootup PC in safe mode either

What could be causing this?
Faulty new drive?? or has he been virused?? -- which I consider less likely as he has updated virus protection.

Running Windows 200 Pro with all service packs and windows updates installed.

Many thanks

C. Ali

Terry Porritt
05-03-2004, 08:26 PM
What I would do is to download the hard drive diagnostics utility from the manufacturers web site and run that. It will tell you if there is anything wrong with the drive.

Just been through this exercise with 2 off the shelf new Maxtors that were faulty.

Chemical Ali
05-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Yeah but how can I run that diagnostic when I can't even get into Windows or does it run in Dos or something??

metla
05-03-2004, 08:50 PM
It will run off a floppy.

Terry Porritt
05-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Yes as Metla says it runs off a bootable floppy. So you need to use another computer to download the utility, then when the downloaded file is run, it creates a bootable floppy with the diagnostic program on it.

you can then boot the non-working computer of the floppy and test out the hard drive.

All the HDD manufacturers have them as far as I know, it will be in a support or download part of the HDD website.