PDA

View Full Version : Taskbar stealing focus

nervous tic
05-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Once a minute, ME takes the focus from whatever I'm doing, and puts it on the task bar!! This only happens on some days - sometimes it's OK.

I tried setting "ForegroundFlashCount" to 'zero', in the Registry...

"Dr Watson" says "if your taskbar is behaving strangely, disable
"mmtask.tsk". When I did, my music application didn't run - lack of memory.
I'd really appreciate some suggestions. Have also run "WindowsOptimiser"

Ashley Matthews
05-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Have you tried downloading TweakUI - do a search for it on google. This has an option for stopping apps or things stealinng focus

nervous tic
09-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Yes, I've got TweakUI - have tried a couple of settings...
If you check the "Prevent apps stealing focus" box, there are only 2 choices, both of which allow the taskbar to flash...

The other day, the problem only started about 3 or 4 hours into the session, which was better, but still annoying.

I'm clutching at straws, but my next step is to run Adaware - maybe something's causing "pop-ups"
Thanks anyway. Anyone else with suggestions?

blank_harry
09-03-2004, 09:03 PM
There seems to be more to the problem that what your initially reporting.

I'd like to help but until I know what programs are loaded at start up, as far as I'm concerned any other suggestions I could give you would be nothing but pure conjecture.

You want possible solutions, right?

Report back here what programs are loaded at startup. Choose Run from the start menu, then type msconfig into the text box.

Depress the keyboard < Enter > key.

Once the msconfig program fires up, go to the < Start Up > tab.

Copy and paste the programs loading at start up time onto this thread, by way of reply, so we can all have a go at deducing what might be causing the issue.

Running ad-aware may help, but it's a 50/50 call.

It may solve the problem, but not entirely.

nervous tic
12-03-2004, 07:47 PM
You were right, Harry - Adaware hasn't helped. (it put 4 items in quarantine though) Nor has "DLL Explorer."
Here's my startup info (typed! - it wouldn't copy and paste...)

Taskbar Display Controls RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
ScanRegistry C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
SystemTray SysTray.Exe
UpdReg C:\WINDOWS\Updreg.exe
VetAlert C:\WINDOWS\System\VetMsg9x.exe
VetTray C:\PROGRA~1\COMPUT~1\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VETTRAY.EXE
TweakUI RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
*StateMgr C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
Devldr16 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\devldr16.exe
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(the 2 "Vet" entries refer to my anti-virus, from Computer Associates)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 1.2 GHz AMD processor; 512 Mb RAM; System resources around 90% free; 2 x 40Gb hard-drives; A4 Tech optical mouse. (have also tried a different mouse...no difference)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"ME Restore" isn't working (not that I care) (haven't downloaded any patches.)
In the past, tried to use "Hardware Profiles", and my cursor went BERSERK! opening windows/apps all by itself, so didn't try THAT again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device Manager reports one item with a question mark - "PCI Multimedia Audio Device" ("no driver files required or loaded... no conflicts")
(someone said this may be the oe soundcard - my "main" soundcard is Creative's Sound Blaster Live!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Help \ System Info reports some IRQs being used by 2,3, and even 4 "things," and 1 "Problem Device" ie PCI Multimedia Audio Device blahblahblah(long number) Error code 28
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The full name of (Dr Watson's diagnosis referal) mmtask.tsk is "Multimedia background task support module", and seems to be used by only 1 "thing" (as I said, without this, my music software reports "not enough memory")
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've also got details of autoexec.bat and config.sys if you need info from them - didn't put them here, because they're a bit long....
Thanks for your interest!

Susan B
12-03-2004, 09:15 PM
You have given Adaware a run with no improvement so I would suggest that you run through the Forum's Spyware FAQ and see if anything in that helps. Link to FAQs top right of this page - they take a while to load so be patient.

blank_harry
12-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Right ho! This is too long, but what the hell.

System Restore is a great idea, but IMHO doesn't do diddly squat of good. I'd turn it off if it were my PC.

Don't do anything with the Vet entries.

If you've got ? marks against some of your entries in Device Manager that often means that you've got some hardware on your PC that hasn't been properly configured to run, like, it doesn't have a device driver to integrate the hardware with the software.

No need to post the .bat files and such like for the time being.

According to Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=261815) MMTask loads a .dll which becomes integrated into the shell (Explorer). The loading of this .dll may be cause of your 'flashing' taskbar.

Assuming you've read the info at this link, I take it you know what .dll files are? No? In a way they're like a program file, an .exe in other words. They load at startup and help other programs work by channelling instructions from those programs to other programs and so on. They may not be listed as 'start-up' items.

Now, if we are to believe Microsoft (and why shouldn't we, aye) and assuming you have one of them lovely keyboards with enough keys to keep the Taelons (re Earth: Final Conflict, the tv series) happy then you might want to forego using the program that causes this .dll to load.

Sure, some of the quick key shortcuts may not work to launch your favourite programs if you ditch MMTask, but you can still configure shortcut key combo's to those programs by selecting a favourite program's shortcut on the desktop, right mouse click, choose properties and then filling in a keyboard combo in the shortcut key textbox.

Anyhow, I'd suggest removing some of programs you've got running at start up. The best way, in my view, to do this is to depress the keyboard combo Win Key | R concurrently to access the run menu.

Type msinfo32 into the textbox, enter via the keyboard. The system information progam should load and a form appear on screen.

Go to Software Environment | Start Programs.

In the command column there should be a list of all the paths you can access to remove some the programs you've got running at start up, cleanly.

I were you I'd ditch:

Taskbar Display Controls RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
ScanRegistry C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
Devldr16 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\devldr16.exe

I've not personally heard of devldr16.exe. At a guess you've got some 16bit software program, like a game, that installed it. I'd ditch it.

You could ditch systray.exe, but your mileage may vary on removing this one.

The great thing about using msinfo32.exe is that the command column shows you the path to where the key or file is located so that you can then traverse there and in the case of the registry key simply delete the key, or in the case of a file in a start up folder simply delete the shortcut link to the program the shortcut loads.

Using the prescribed method descibed above I hope you also may find a hidden entry, via msinfo32, which shows you where the program MMTask.exe is loading. If so, remove it.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you go.

nervous tic
13-03-2004, 05:12 PM
I DO have a multimedia keyboard, but I don't "use it."
When I re-installed ME, months ago (long story), I didn't
install the k/b s/ware, mainly because I didn't know how,
and didn't want to - it just came with the package.
I run my computer like I my bicycle when I was a kid -
"with the mudguards off." (ie to free up resources.
I don't even use a screen-saver)
I open all my apps from shortcuts on the desktop.
BUT...maybe the keyboard is the culprit, so I've swapped
it for an HP one (which happens to have audio controls!)
So far, today, NO TIC! but it may just be in a good mood.
One thing at a time - I'll try your other suggestions later,
if necessary. Thanks.