PDA

View Full Version : Car Help Needed.....Tiptronic Transmission.....

Scottie
05-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Hey everyone, just wanting to know if anyone could possibly help me out with a non computer issue. I use Press F1 all the time and i know you guys know alot about things other than computers.

I am looking at buying a Toyota Caldina Turbo 1997 and it has Tiptronic transmission. Just wondering if any of you know any advantages/disadvantages. I am use to driving a manual but really like this car.

your help would be much appreciated.

I have searched on Google with no real luck, so if you have any links to some decent websites that would be appreciated.

Chers.

Ashley Matthews
05-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Having that exact model (except mine is a '98) i can say that there is really no such thing as an advantage between automatic and manual. There are the small things, such as petrol usage and top speed (slight edge to manual) but with todays refined automatic transmissions the effect of this is really neglligable. It really just comes down to your particular preference and what you plan to use if for.... i mean if you plan to race it then you'd be stupid to buy an auto car, but if not then the difference is negligable.

Hope this helps
Ash

Scottie
05-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Ash thanks for your help.

But it in turns of maintenance etc is Tiptronic reliable?

I dont know much about it to be honest as you could probably tell.

Cheers.

Billy T
05-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Tiptronic is an oxymoronic *manually operated automatic transmission* intended to restore to the enthusiastic driver greater control over gear choices. It can also operate in full auto mode for drivers who like two pedals only (or can't cope with three) and don't give a toss about how it all works.

If you enjoy the act of driving, and like to feel in control of your vehicle in all respects, stick with manual. If you just like the occasional choice of gear options but are happy to let the car do the work most of the time, buy the Tiptronic.

It is nothing more than a different way to control an automatic gearbox.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

kiwibeat
05-03-2004, 07:06 PM
turbo s are a nightmare to fix so get a AA report and check that everthing is ok,I personally would not ever buy a turbo once was enough .

Dak2
05-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Nothing wrong with turbo's provided they are looked after and maintained, no different to any other vehicle.Turbochargers these days are very reliable and are quite capable of outliving the motor if looked after.

Ashley Matthews
05-03-2004, 08:41 PM
I agree with the above posts. Make sure the car you're buying has been well looked after. As a rule of thumb dont buy a turbo with high km as I found out all too 'expensively'. If its relatively low then go for it... boost away.... Re the reliability of tiptronics, nowadays there is no problems with them. They don't tend to fail that often, however when they do it can be quite expensive to fix.

Getting an AA Check is absolutely Paramount... you;d be stupid not to. Happy car buying

Alasta
05-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Like a conventional automatic, a tiptronic has a torque convertor rather than a clutch, which means that there is no third pedal regardless of whether you operate the transmission in automatic or manual mode.

The best advice that I can give with regard to any form of automatic is to get it serviced regularly. It only needs to be done every 20,000kms and it only costs about $100. With regular maintenance, you are likely to find that an automatic is actually more reliable than an H-box manual. However, if you fail to perform this simple maintenance, you can end up having to rebuild the transmission which, depending on the particular vehicle, can cost thousands.

FrankS
05-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Don't know if the following is any help
http://www.acarplace.com/forums/index.php?act=SF&f=74?#14973
With marine diesel turbos it was considered good practice to leave it idling for about a minute before shutting down, even cooling plus plenty of oil.

godfather
05-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Some basic tips on Turbo systems and driving with a turbo here:
http://www.turbotechnics.com/turbo/tips.htm

I agree with some thoughts above, that unless you know and can prove the car has been well maintained I simply wouldn't touch a turbo model.

metla
05-03-2004, 11:27 PM
muhahahaha....I bought a turbo wagon with 190 000 k on the clock through trademe....

Not saying thats a good idea,just what i did.

FrankS
06-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Agree with Godfather, would'nt touch a turbo unless you have got the the full history
Worth spending $20-25 on the following
http://www.nzaa.co.nz/cg/MainMenu
under Buying and Selling click on AA Autoreport
From experience this can save you a lot of hassle