PDA

View Full Version : PCI or USB wirless ethenet adapter?

scottiedave
05-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Hi , I am currently looking for wirless ethenet adapter for my desktop to do the sharing files things between 3 computers , and I want to ask that which one is better , PCI or USB2? And can you suggestion one ? Is Gigabyte OK with it ?I will prefer the "g" speed one . Thanks!

Ashley Matthews
05-03-2004, 05:02 PM
It really depends on whether you want to be able to move that connection form computer to computer. Obviously the PCI version is locked to one machine, and the USB version is mobile.

Also speaking from experience, I found that the USB adapters tend to have better performance, simply because most of the PCI versions were just PCMCIA cards slotted into a PCI adapter.

You are definiately going to want to get an 802.11g card if you plan to do file transfer, but otherwise i really wouldn't worry about whether you get b, or g..... but I'd get g to be on the safe side.

As for Gigabyte, never used it personally but I've heard it's quite good, although I notice performance also depends quite markedly on the kind of AP you use.

Hope this helps/.

Graham L
05-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Almost all PCI cards are PCI cards these days. ;-) It's expensive to have the extra connectors and circuitry needed to plug a PCMCIA card into an adaptor.

I'd go for PCI because it means fewer plugs and sockets. The only advantage of a USB unit is that the length of the cable gives a bit more freedom in placing of the aerials. Tradeoffs.;-_

If you want to use only Windows, you can use any brand. Linux has WiFi implementation for only a few chipsets.

wuppo
06-03-2004, 08:52 AM
I would opt for the usb, as the antenna placement on PCI cards generally means less than optimal performance. If you have a detachable antenna [on the PCI card] you can add an antenna on an extension cable, but at considerably more cost.