PDA

View Full Version : Need switch AND hub to connect to Internet...

Pyro
05-03-2004, 03:10 PM
I have a curious problem here. At work we have a network of around 10 machines. One of the machines (Win 98 First Edition) runs vsocks allowing all the other machines to connect to the internet through it (proxy?). All was fine when the machines were all connected via 2 x 10MBit hubs. However, we decided to upgrade to a 10/100 switch which is when the problems started. We replaced the hubs with the one 24 port switch and all was fine except we could not connect to the Internet. The server would dial up all right and connect, but we now cannot see anything on the other machines - they stay there waiting for the webpages to come up, say they are connected and waiting for data, and don't time out. The only way I have been able to fix this so far is to connect the machine with the modem in it to the hub, connect the hub to the switch, and all the other machines to the switch!!!

Has anyone got any clues as to what I could try to solve this - it has me stumped.

Cheers,

Pete.

Ashley Matthews
05-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Not really sure what causing this but a wild guess is that your new switch has a DHCP server built in and that has screwed up your IP Address configurations?

decenttp
05-03-2004, 05:21 PM
hi pete,

windows 98 first edition does not have ICS (internet connection sharing) which prevents it from acting as an DHCP server itself. Upgrade to wind 98 SE or any later windows version. When you machine itself will act as a DHCP server this IP resolution problem wont come. Onething i would like to know. Do your machines ping to the server when they r all on the swicth.

Graham L
05-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Curious.;-)

Extremely odd. :-(

About all I can think of is that the switch might be too good at connecting. :D You might be getting a lot of collisions of packets from the other computers in the W98's ethernet card. Can you run Etherreal on that machine and see if it is getting collisions? You might see a lot of errors reported if you run [ipconfig[/b] on each of the machines.

If that's the case, the delay introduced by the hub acting as a repeater might make it work. It would explain why the others aren't timing out --- they know they are doing error recovery and getting packets repeated.

Graham L
05-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Sorry, decenttp and Ashley ... it's not an IP address problem --- the others are "connected", so it's not DHCP. It's not the lack of ICS ... it worked before (using hubs) , and it works now (as long as a hub is there). It's much stranger.;-)

wuppo
05-03-2004, 06:30 PM
It may be that the 'server' ethernet card doesn't like working at 100mbps - the hub will force it down to 10mbps. Try going in to the properties and forcing it to operate at 10mbps (usually it's on auto by default). If it then works directly through the switch - try another cable at 100mbps and then another card.

Pyro
05-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Hi. More information that may be relavent - the "server" only has a 10Mbps network card in it (it is an old machine). We have fixed addresses on all the machines (not using DHCP??), with the machine with the modem being 192.168.0.1. I have tried setting the switch to all 10Mbit (half and full duplex). I have also tried replacing the cable running to that machine as well - it is currently using CAT 6 and I tried 5e. And if it makes any difference, the switch is an X-NET SH-9024C (www.x-net.com.tw) which was a cheap one we picked up earlier in the year.

This may help some of the diagnosis of the problem. A wee bit stuck at the moment as not going back into work until Monday, but already some good ideas for me to try.

Pete