PDA

View Full Version : disk errors

Kjaada
05-03-2004, 02:21 PM
WXP on 40gb HD and trying to install Xandros.Keep getting the error message "disk can not be partitioned as it has errors exit and run scandisk" I have exited several times and run check disk in both options but to no avail.I have partition magic if that is going to help me.Where to from here.
I also have installed Xandros on my Acer 202t laptop as the only OS but it will not recognize my Lucent win modem and none of the lucent driver alternatives work.Of course I can not go any where and get a driver cause I can not connect.Have the driver for WME but that dont work either.

drcspy
05-03-2004, 02:39 PM
low level format ?

Dumb1
06-03-2004, 07:40 AM
can u explain?I have now been thru all the options in troubleshooting and still no joy

drcspy
06-03-2004, 09:45 AM
check your bios screens for this option

Jen C
06-03-2004, 10:19 AM
?Kjaada and Dumb1 are the same person. If you are, try to stick to the same user name within your post - less confusion that way :)

>run check disk in both options but to no avail

So you ran both Check Disk with the options ticked for "Automatically fix the file system errror" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"? Were any errors detected when this ran when you rebooted?

Since you have Partition Magic, see if it can make the partition for you and whether it detects any errors. If you do manage to make a partition successfully, leave it unformatted (unallocated) and Xandros will format it for you when you do the installation.

Please make sure you have all your important data in WinXP backed up before doing this

>I also have installed Xandros on my Acer 202t laptop as the only OS but it will not recognize my Lucent win modem and none of the lucent driver alternatives work.

>Have the driver for WME but that dont work either.

So your laptop used to run WinME and even then the modem wouldn't work with the windows driver?

>Of course I can not go any where and get a driver cause I can not connect

If you have found the correct Linux driver for your modem, you can just download it on another machine and then transfer it across to the laptop. What does the Xandros technical support say about your modem issue? I have tried to search their knowledge base and hardware compatibility database, but something is up with it as all search terms return a zero finding at the moment ?:|

>> low level format ?
>>check your bios screens for this option

This machine is going to be dual booting - I don't think they want to completely wipe out the current XP installation, which is what a low level format will do.

Jen C
06-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Ah, regarding your Lucent modem issue, I see you have made another post on it - best to keep further posts regarding that problem on that thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=45081) to save duplication of comments etc.

Kjaada
06-03-2004, 10:38 AM
I tried Part Magic and got a clean check for errors but got a warning that my present partition MIGHT NOT BE BOOTABLE when i resized so did not proceed with that.I had 4.1 gb used and tried the minimum part at about 4.5 recomended and also tried 14gb but same message.