PDA

View Full Version : Using a NZ purchased Laptop in the USA

Smurf
04-03-2004, 10:57 PM
I have a Laptop which I purchased in NZ. Shortly I will be visiting the US and would like to take my Laptop with me. Question: Apart from the three pin plug adapter required, is there any other compatibility issues. The AC adapter in use with the machine is Input 100 -240v 2.3A 50-60Hz

Thank you.

beama
04-03-2004, 11:09 PM
modem if you intend to use it godfather maybe of some help here

TideMan
04-03-2004, 11:47 PM
> I have a Laptop which I purchased in NZ. Shortly I
> will be visiting the US and would like to take my
> Laptop with me. Question: Apart from the three pin
> plug adapter required, is there any other
> compatibility issues. The AC adapter in use with the
> machine is Input 100 -240v 2.3A 50-60Hz
>
> Thank you.

I've done this lots of times with absolutely no problem. Just buy a plug adapter from DSE for about $14 to convert from 3 pin NZ to 2 pin US. Somehow the laptop figures out its getting a different voltage and frequency, and adjusts. The modem will work fine as well. And you can arrange with your ISP for a free dial in the city you'll be staying in. Just be careful if you're staying in a hotel that they don't charge you for the time you spend on the phone. A mate of mine racked up several hundred francs (in France) doing this. He managed to charm (read bullshit) his way out of it , though.

godfather
04-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Power supply will be fine, US is 110 and 220 v, 60 Hz. Adapter for the plug needed as you note.

Modem should work, but you may have to set it to not wait for dial tone if it does not recognise the US tone.

Modem lead will probably not fit the US phone sockets, cheapest would be another lead purchased there.

If you need to get access of your own, you will either have to have an account with a US based ISP, or use Ipass software if your NZ ISP supports it. With Ipass you dial local, and it gets billed back to your NZ account. Not cheap, but convenient. Usually about $10 - $20 NZ per hour.

Graham L
06-03-2004, 03:17 PM
If your power supply has a detachable power cord, you will find a new power cord is less bulky than an US/NZ adaptor. You should be able to find one with an American plug in NZ. (Probably much cheaper if bought in the US ...).