PDA

View Full Version : win2k: can't add a new internet connection

sarahk
04-03-2004, 04:21 PM
I've just got a new pc but with alot of my old stuff put onto the hard disk. Doesn't look like they ghosted it and I've got a problem with my internet connection,

I had 2 dialup and networking connections, one to my LAN and one to Maxnet, my ISP.

Started my PC and the LAN connection was there, but not Maxnet. Went to recreate it using the "manual" option and where you type a label I got a message saying the name couldn't start with a .

No probs there, except that I didn't use a .

So I thought I'd use the wizard. It says I already have an internet connection called . and won't let me use the wizard to create another.

I turned on the option in windows explorer to allow me to see system and hidden files, since . usually indicates a directory (or something).

It was suggested I use the Internet Explorer connection dialog to add this. The list is empty. When I click Add I get the following error:
=============
Cannot load the Remote Access Connection Manager service.

Error 711: The Remote Access Service Manager could not start. Additional information is provided in the event log.
=============

Couldn't find a relevant event log...
A search on the error took me to a MS site talking about XP (I've got win2k) and recommended checking the services. Telephony is started but I can't get the Remote Access Connection service to start. I get an access denied error despite being logged in with Administrator rights.

So, all I really need is to be able to either edit this misnamed connection or create a new one.

Any ideas???

Murray P
04-03-2004, 11:28 PM
You could delete and start over again but, If the shop stuffed this up what else is wrong that may not be apparent to you for some time.

Do you still have access to your old HDD for them to do a fresh ghost from. I would be inclined to get them to fix it one way or another, make sure your data is backed up somewhere safe first tho.

Cheers Murray P

BIFF
04-03-2004, 11:56 PM
The message about the '.' in the file name is a red herring. You will need to check that the Remote Access Connection Manager service can start/is started.
To do this right click My computer and click Manage. Open the Services container in the left hand pane and see if the service is running. If not check that it's startup is not 'disabled' if so double click it and set it to manual or automatic. If the service is not running and is set to manual or automatic then right click it and click Start. If it fails to start then go to the Event Viewer container at the top of the left hand pane and open the System log. There may be an entry in there from the 'Service Control Manager' reporting why the service failed to start. If this is the case then note down the event details and post them here.

sarahk
05-03-2004, 07:19 AM
Here's some of the log entries.

and fingers x'd that nothing else is stuffed up!

=============
The Control Protocol EAP in the Point to Point Protocol module C:\WINNT\System32\rasppp.dll returned an error while initializing. The network request is not supported.
=============
Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because the Point to Point Protocol failed to initialize. The network request is not supported.
=============
Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers. Restart the computer. Access is denied.
=============

beama
05-03-2004, 07:32 AM
try looking in msconfig services tab and see if that service is set to start up

beama
05-03-2004, 07:33 AM
try google those error messages

sarahk
05-03-2004, 08:10 AM
I found something in the Microsoft site that said the problem sometimes occurs when you've gone from SP3 to SP4. Well, I've gone from SP4 to SP3 and I've decided that's where the problem lies.

However to download the SP via the catalog service is 129Mb and I just can't do that on a 28.8k connection. I can't do it via the Windows Update process because I can't connect.

So I'm going to take the PC into the shop and do it on their jetstream connection. Fingers crossed that's enough!

Sarah

falvrez
05-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Sarah you don't need to download any files - it's a known problem on the MS site and the fix (I think from memory) is a registry edit. Search some more on the MS Support website before downloading any huge files...if I get a chance today I'll try and find it for you.

Murray P
05-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Hi, I still believe you should take it back to the shop (or get them to come to you with the fix, they may even have it on CD).

If you've paid for a service, as part of your purchase, you have every right for it to be done correctly (you did pay them didn't you ;) ). If you attempt to fix it yourself and it doesn't work they may claim it as your error. If they're decent and care for their customers then, they will be only too happy to help.

If you don't get any joy from the shop then, by all means try yourself with assistance from PF1 and complain long and loud to their management.

Cheers Murray P

sarahk
05-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi Guys

thanks for your responses.

I took it back to the shop and used their jetstream connection to get the SP's uptodate. Fixed as soon as SP4 was installed (as suggested by the MS website). No charge for that, ofcourse as it was their error.

I have no problem with their service, in general. The total job was reasonably complex and they charged no more than if I'd just bought a standard system, so I really appreciate the value add. My husband wanted me to get a Dell (same price) but I would have had to then pay to get all the fiddly bits done to my old PC to set it up for it's new life.

Anyway, I'm online on my own PC, it's fast and I'm happy.

Thanks

Sarah