PDA

View Full Version : Windows Explorer non-refresh of CD-Rom Directories?

da5id_auck
04-03-2004, 01:14 PM
This is a real nuisance. I am using Windows XP Home Version 2002 Service Pack 1, and have been given 9 or so CD's by a friend to look through of some of his work. This includes web sites etc.

On putting the CD-R's into my CD Rom drive, I find I can look at the first one OK, but I find that on inserting subsequent discs, the directories and/or contents of the disc don't update in the Windows Explorer panes, even with pressing F5.

What's with that? It's REALLY frustrating. I even exit from Explorer, put a new disc in then start Explorer again. Mostly, it still shows the old folders of the previous disc I put in.

Is there any way to fix this? At the moment, I'm having to reboot the entire PC between discs to get an idea of what's on them. It's just stupid. Thanks Bill >:(

Da5id

Graham L
04-03-2004, 01:28 PM
I don't know XP, but you should still have an "Eject" option in the right-click menu. That ought to tell the operating system that there will be a disk change. As well as ejecting the CD. ;-)

CP/M had Ctrl/C for that problem. And CDs hadn't been invented then. :D

ugh1
04-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Have the same problem with win2k, so not sure if this will work for you but give it a try.

Right click My Computer -> Manage -> Removeable Storage -> Physicial Locations -> Right Click on CD drives -> Properties -> Un tick enable library.

You will need to be admin to do this.

Also after you have done it if you insert a CD with the same volume label as one that has just been in the drive you will still need to do the F5 to refresh.

The problem, best I have figured, is that the media pool, which explorer seems to use, only reconises media by volume label...

da5id_auck
04-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Thanks, I will try all your suggestions :)

da5id