PDA

View Full Version : duff modem @ ISP?

mark c
04-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Can you get a modem which isn't working right at your ISP? Or say one which has low priority, or something similar?

I ask this because sometimes when I connect (dial-up) if I can't get to any sites or even the homepage won't get accessed I disconnect and "try another modem (virtual or otherwise) at the ISP".

This is how I explain it to myself. Seems to work.

Or is this just coincidence and bunkum?

Cheers :D

Graham L
04-03-2004, 01:39 PM
ISPs don't use modems on each line. They get a fat digital line from Telecom. I assume that the half-modem for 56k (modem for 33.6 and lower) processing is done in a clever box in each exchange. Again, it will be fast DSP processors in a concentrator rather than individual modems.

I've seen photographs of a modem room in an American university, with racks of groups of telephone, acoustic coupler, and modem. When a phone rang, an operator would pick up the phone, answer, then put the handpiece on the coupler, and flick the switch. There you have auto-negotiation 25 years before V90. :D

It's probably coincidence. But it could happen that your session at the ISP could get itself clogged up, just like Windows. Disconnecting works like Ctrl/Alt/Del. :D

mark c
04-03-2004, 03:17 PM
OK thanks for that. :)

Like I say, that's been my experience, but could of course be coincidence or wishful thinking.