PDA

View Full Version : Can 98se get a command prompt like XP?

MrBeef
04-03-2004, 07:52 AM
Hi there at school the computers have XP and i quite like the command prompt styles over in it, you can paste stuff (right click) and you can also use page up and down to scroll through everythign that has been typed etc

I am wondering if this is possible for Win98se in anyw?

Murray P
04-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Hi win 98's is called DOS. The XP/win2k command prompt is just a DOS emulator (XP & 2k still have 16 bit code in them). You can't cut and paste in DOS using the mouse you need to use commands via the keyboard.

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silently
04-03-2004, 09:59 AM
The easiest way to get the command prompt:
Click Start
Click Run
Type;
command

Chill.

bmason
04-03-2004, 04:34 PM
The DOSKEY command will add a command history and some alias support to the DOS prompt. It has been installed by defalut with DOS/win9x for a while.

To install it, open C:\autoexec.bat in notepad (or similar) and on a seaperate line add "DOSKEY".

MrBeef
04-03-2004, 09:12 PM
What i was mean that using the "command.com" from windows on Win98se i want it to be like XPs command prompt whereas you can scroll up and down the window and you can right click and copy or paste. Etc etc.

XPs command prompt (run - cmd)

Cheers

zminos
04-03-2004, 10:06 PM
wow I think you mean you want to limit the size of the command/dos screen so it's a box ie scorllable?

I think that from memory, you could tell windows to open a dos box/windows... maybe command -w

maybe it's google time?

:)

MrBeef
04-03-2004, 10:24 PM
well for the time being i have made it so that the screen initial size is 50 lines.

That way if i do net, i can see everything that net has to offer. like net config, generally i cant see that if i turn it back to normal.

Mzee
05-03-2004, 03:05 PM
I am not sure what you are after.
Win98 has true dos. If you look at the file "msdos.sys" and change the line "gui=1" to "gui=0" it will boot into Dos. From Dos you can load Windows (c:\windows\win if you wish.

If you go into a Dos command prompt in Windows, you can get a full screen by [Alt]+[Enter] To close the Dos screen type "exit".
You will only be able to copy etc in a Window, not a full screen.

bmason
05-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Increasing the number of lines is the only way I know of apart from using MORE or dumping the program output to a file.

BTW, to change the number of screen lines on-the-fly use: mode con lines=50 or 43, 25 etc.

JohnD
05-03-2004, 04:48 PM
The features that you describe are new to the NT range of Windows with XP - they were not in Windows 2000 and are definitely not in Win9x DOS.