PDA

View Full Version : AVG not connecting

heaton
03-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Every week I have been clicking on the AVG icon then clicking the update manager/ update now to download the uptodate virus signatures. Now I get the following message: An automatice connection to the internet could not be established. Please manually establish a connection to download your update files. ( this can typically be done by launching your internet browser.) This message despite the fact that I am already connected. I have Zone Alarm and have configured it to allow Grisoft to access the internet. Any suggestions please ??

Chris Randal
03-03-2004, 03:40 PM
In (IIRC) the updtae manager there is a box that says something like "connect automatically". Is that ticked?

BTW - updates are coming thru daily at the moment.

Chris

ugh1
03-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Ok, the avg udpdates are done by another exe file, not the "main" avg program.

Check that zone alarm is allowing avginet.exe to access the internet.

Peter H
03-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Have found that I have turn my firewall off - Kerio - try it with Zone Alarm off.
Bye

tweak\'e
03-03-2004, 10:28 PM
it could be a problem at grisofts end. avg wasn't connecting for me either and its been fine untill tonight.

Chilling_Silently
03-03-2004, 10:48 PM
I had issues today, had to manually download the update from the AVG site.

Scouse
03-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Two updates today.

Blue Druid
04-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Most probably a Grisoft problem. Successfully downloaded 2+Mb update this morning but have been unable to update 3 other machines since then using 3 different ISPs on dial-up.

gerrypics
04-03-2004, 12:53 AM
I think we are all in the same boat. Probably avg receiving a lot of hits due to the amount of virus activity at the moment

Jester
04-03-2004, 12:54 AM
I think it's Grisoft. I updated earlier today all ok, but a bit slow. Just tried updating again to test it and it didn't connect at all, and suggested that I didn't have an internet connection. I kept retrying then it connected ... they look to be a bit busy methinks

:|

Laura
04-03-2004, 01:05 AM
Definitely Grisoft"s problem.
At 8pm, which I have set as automatic update check time, the acreen appeared but went nowhere.
I've tried manually since & keep getting the same message about internet connection/start browser etc.
Just snowed under, I guess....

Peter H
04-03-2004, 09:58 AM
As I have just reformatted this beastie, I installed AVG via a coverdisc. Could not get updates, so D/L'd the full prog - all 6mb. This was yesterday about 3pm with no problems - was also right up to date with definintions.
Bye

Susan B
04-03-2004, 10:07 AM
I had no trouble yesterday with the big one but the little one which I have just received took a while to get going. All up to date now. :-)

Incidentally, this week I have received half a dozen emails with "your application.pif" attachments which AVG cleared as virus free which I am certain would be the myDoom virus (or whatever it is). They got the one-finger salute but I am surprised AVG missed them, it has never done that before. It has picked up a couple of other infected attachments of different species though.

mark c
04-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Won't start for me either. Nothing.

metla
04-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Just updated mine,worked fine.Also got the 2mb update last night with no hassle.

I have found that AVG missed all 5 virus infected mails i have recieved in the last month,i dragged the zips onto the desktop and instructed avg to scan them,only then did it identify the motherload contained within.