PDA

View Full Version : Word 2002 Bold Problem

Barnabas
03-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi everyone, I've got a problem with one of our users where they select part of a word document, for example a heading, and the bold the text but then the whole document gets bolded. They can then press undo and all of the text is unbolded except for the original text that they wanted bolded.
Very strange behaviour. Has anyone ever seen this before or any ideas how to fix it?
Thanks.
B.

Susan B
03-03-2004, 02:12 PM
There are a number of things that can cause that problem.

It is likely that the entire document has been formatted with a single Style that is updated automatically whenever formatting changes are made.

If that is the case they can disable the automatic updating. To do so press F1, type in "Automatically update a paragraph style" and follow the instructions but remove the tick from automatic update.

karent
08-03-2004, 12:59 PM
or
On your Standard toolbar, select Show/Hide to reveal the paragraph end "code", amongst other things. Then select ONLY the text to be bolded - NOT the return code. I work with Styles a lot in my job and all formatting information is contained in the return code immediately following a particular paragraph. Styles can be confusing when you're not used to them but are fantastic once you get to grips with them.
Cheers :)