PDA

View Full Version : centre shortcut in excel

roofus
03-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Does anybody know a shortcut key for centering text in an excel worksheet.

To be specific excel2000

thanks

Susan B
03-03-2004, 10:04 AM
The only way that I know of is to go into Excel's Tools>Options>Transition, put a tick in Transition Navigation Keys check box then use the Caret key ^ prior to typing in the text in the cell. Or, if your text is already typed hit F2>Home then type in the ^.

As you can see it is pretty long winded for formatting text already typed so I just use either the mouse and toolbar or the format painter to do the job in one fell swoop.

Maybe the Excel gurus may have some better ideas. :-)

rugila
03-03-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm pretty sure that no direct shortcut key or key combination to centre text was included by the creators of Excel.

I'm happy to be proved wrong tho'.

To centre text I use one of the format toolbar options, or menu Format->Cells->Alignment.

If I did it a lot I'd write a macro and assign a shortcut key to the macro. That's easy to do.

You don't say if you want to centre the text horizontally or vertically or both. Which method would depend on which centreing you want to do.

beama
03-03-2004, 12:35 PM
I know of none for this function either but I have an idea
Build a macro and asign a shortcut key to it

roofus
03-03-2004, 12:38 PM
thanks for the replys guys. Susan your hint was helpful and i will implement that technique, and as a backup i will have a macro that will do it, if i forget to put the caret at the front
:-)

Russell D
03-03-2004, 01:26 PM
If you have the Formatting Toolbar displayed, a click on the grey box above row 1 and to the left of column A will select all cells, then click on the text centering icon on the Formatting toolbar will centre align all cells in the Worksheet.

roofus
03-03-2004, 02:22 PM
> If you have the Formatting Toolbar displayed,
> a click on the grey box above row 1 and to the left
> of column A will select all cells, then click on the
> text centering icon on the Formatting toolbar will
> centre align all cells in the Worksheet.

Thoe whole idea was though to not use the mouse and to centre only the selected cells.
I have gone with the macro, i used susans idea to start off with, but i wasn't happy (or willing to learn) the new changes that transitional formatting option enabled.