PDA

View Full Version : Internet sharing

wizpin
03-03-2004, 08:05 AM
I have a site that uses Telecom "Wireless Internet" (being rural they don't have Jetstream). Using Windows XP Pro I have set up Internet sharing and all machines access the internet. On the client machines I can search on google and get results quick as but cant go to pages like Xtra, Nzoom, Microsoft etc.
The host machine has no problem.
Machines on the network are Win95, Win98, and XP and all have the same problem.
:(

Odin
03-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Does it actually come up with a message saying unable to connect or does it just take ages and do nothing? Of the sites you mentioned these are amongst the slowest I have ever come across. Xtra's web page is a nightmare to access even on dsl, it can take up to 2 mins for everything to load and thats on a good day. NZoom is also bloated and slow which is why i never go there.

I take it you can get to other sites ok. My guess would be that due to the bloated nature of those websites and the fact that you are sharing the connection over a wireless network, that it is causing the pages to get lost due to thier natural slowness. Have you tried a different browser such as mozilla or firefox.

wizpin
03-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Thanks for your reply Odin....
If I recall correctly the message is the same one that appears when the internet is not connected. This time out takes about 2 - 3 minutes.
In case I didn't make myself clear all the networking in the building is CAT5 and the internet connection is wireless - like Ihug satelite but both up and down stream.
The host talks to the Wireless device by network cable and then converted out to device.
The host has no problem with these sites.
If I load the dialing software onto any client the computer I have no problem. The connections are still the same Computer sends signal to wireless book via UTP via HUB and unit dials out OK.

Thanks

stu140103
03-03-2004, 03:11 PM
> Of the sites you mentioned these are amongst the
> slowest I have ever come across. Xtra's web page is
> a nightmare to access even on dsl, it can take up to
> 2 mins for everything to load and thats on a good
> day.

I will agree with you there, but the last few weeks, it has been good.

> NZoom is also bloated and slow which is why i never go there.

I have to disagree with you there, every since they start on the new tvnz website (& they start to drop some of the feature websites), nzoom has got a lot faster....

That is on Jet Stream Starter(Jet Start)

ugh1
03-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Most obvious question is are you running a firewall??

Many sites will use port 1080, 8080 and a few other weird ones.

Also have you tried to ping the sites from the PCs having problems?

Graham L
03-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Maybe a DNS problem?

Odin
03-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Sorry I misunderstood I thought that your network was also wireless :-). Now for some more questions are you using a Switch or are you using a hub? If its a hub then it may be data collisions that are causing you to not be able to connect.

As Graham said it may also be a DNS problem, also if it had only been affecting the 98 and 95 machines then I would have suggested putting in a WINS configuration, but as the XP machine is doing the same then I guess that aint it either :-)

Do you have the DNS set to your Server or to the ISP DNS settings? If it is set to your server machine then that could very well be the problem (I have had that happen to me before) Same if you have then set to DHCP.

Oh and as for the NZOOM pages being faster, well I wouldn't know about that as after trying it when they first started and then a few months later and finding them slow and bloated (And cluttered with junk info) I never went back :-) so they may have improved but I wouldn't know :D :D I'm one of those people who if they have a bad experience twice at one shop or in this case a web site then it will be years and years before I ever return :D

wizpin
04-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Thanks all who are sending me things to try..............
DNS is all set by DHCP from the Win XP host.
I will test with manually setting the DNS numbers to Xtra.

Cheers

Murray P
04-03-2004, 09:43 AM
I take it that by " win xp host" you mean that you are using MS ICS (internet connection sharing) and that the host machine must be up and running for the others to connect. If that is so, look at getting a switch (which you may already have) drop ICS and your 2nd ethernet card and point all your machines including the current host at the router, ie, that becomes the gateway all machines are clients. ICS and simple networking can be problematic for no particular reason that is known.

Cheers Murray P

wizpin
04-03-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks Murray..

Good idea but I dont use a router. (I have setup many systems the way that you are stating) The wireless internet box is much like an external modem whereas a computer must send dialup commands to the device.

Cheers.............

Murray P
04-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Can you perhaps pop a router/gateway between it and the machines/switch. A bit of cost of course. What do the service providers say, is it their device or yours.

Seems a pain in the butt if you can't use a good old fashioned network but, I guess you know that.

Cheers Murray P