PDA

View Full Version : Dummies Guide - Mapping a Netwok Drive

John W
03-03-2004, 07:53 AM
Could someone please tell me what this means. I have 3 PCs on a wireless network, but cant see either of them. Been told I might need to Map a network drive. All 3 PCs hace Shared C drives.

Thanks in anticipation.

ilikelinux
03-03-2004, 08:02 AM
what os(s)?

Susan B
03-03-2004, 10:17 AM
I cannot explain what it means (Google will tell you) but to map a network drive go to Windows Explorer > Tools>Map Network Drive, browse to the folder you wish to map to, eg \\PC01\C (where PC01 is the computer's name) for the other computer's C: drive and away you go.

The mapped drive/s will then appear in Windows Explorer.

metla
03-03-2004, 10:29 AM
First off,You say you cant see any of the other computers?

Is the network installed correctly?

have you enabled sharing on the individual drives?

If so then you can browse to the drives via My network places(winxp)>view work group computers>Then click on the name of one of the compters,this will bring up a window displaying all the shared resources on that system,then right click on the drive you want mapped and choose Map network drive.

Win98 works much the same way through Neighbourhood network i believe,but its been at least a week since i done it last and didnt pay much attention.....

metla
03-03-2004, 10:30 AM
As to what it means,It will cause the mapped drives to be displayed along side the resident drives on your machine when you go into "My computer".