PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Recommendations of Cable Modems

Hatchi
02-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Hi there, I'm looking for recommendations for Cable modems for use on the TelstraClear Network that also does routing/switching etc...

godfather
02-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Are you VERY sure you are allowed to use your own modem?

If the answer is "yes", we assume they must have just changed their policy?

Hatchi
02-03-2004, 10:38 PM
I'm trying at the moment to negioate a deal with them to provide a high speed wireless connection... One gateway I'd like to get is a 3com ADSL/Cable router, but it isn't compatible with Telstra :(

Steve Askew
02-03-2004, 10:39 PM
If they have changed their policy & allow people to use their own modem? I'd sure like to know about it as I think paying $17 per month for modem rental is a bit of a rip off :-(

Steve

PoWa
02-03-2004, 11:24 PM
No policy change, you have to use theirs, but they have dropped the price to $10.95 a month. Also new plans out, like 10Mbit speed and 10Gb data.

dave_the_builder
03-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Damn! im still on 256k cable and didnt even know that theyve changed their speeds - will definately change to the 10megabit account - well done telstra at least the price is still a little affordable to say the least, now I can run my crappy old apache server with ease...

Alasta
03-03-2004, 01:24 PM
I wonder how much one of those cable modems is worth. If it's worth $200, then it would take nearly two years to cover the cost based on the $10.95 rental fee. I would therefore say that the $10.95 charge is quite reasonable.

Murray P
03-03-2004, 01:53 PM
They are relatively simple devices based on older technology that has been used in the US of A for yonks (which doesn't mean it's no good) and probably worth about 75 to 100 bucks at best to Telstra Clear.

Which is the one reason I refuse to use their service although our home phone and all TV including Sky (cable) come via Saturn. The cable runs within 1.0m of the telecom outlet by which this communication will arrive shortly.

I spoke to someone from Telstra Clear off the record last year (our business was not telecom related) and they stated that the rental policy was not going to change any time soon because it was too lucrative to pass up on rather than for reasons of securing control over settings (which can be hacked anyway through firmware on the router).

I guess the lowering of the rental is an acknowledgement, in kind, that they have plenty of room to move.

Cheers Murray P.

Murray P
03-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Forgot to mention. The poor sods who have been paying $17- per month have already paid the routers off. Don't expect to see a brand new one arrive with your new connection. In fact, AFAIK, the routers are refurbished or surplus ex USA to begin with.

Cheers Murray P

Hatchi
03-03-2004, 08:41 PM
RRP for a cable/adsl router that I wanted to purchase was around the $300nzd price.... came with Wireless 802.11g as well... :)