PDA

View Full Version : How to secure access to WinXP Home

braindead
02-03-2004, 08:37 PM
I was concerned to read that it's easy to download a password sniffer for any of the XP versions that reveal the logon password. So that's not secure.

I assume it would also be easy enough to access contents of the XP primary HD by whacking it on a secondary IDE channel and voila! So that's not secure.

Is there a way to restrict access to XP Home without going through huge encryption gymnastics etc.

I'm thinking primarily of protecting data if the PC is physically stolen.

Any input appreciated with thanks :)

00falcon
02-03-2004, 09:00 PM
encryption built in to XP works fine so long as your password stays secure... havent tryed any password sniffers... but i have this little linux prog that can change NTFS passwords...

arr... that reminds me.... you are using NTFS not FAT32... FAT32 does not support encription...

00falcon
02-03-2004, 09:02 PM
encryption built in to XP works fine so long as your password stays secure... havent tryed any password sniffers... but i have this little linux prog that can change NTFS passwords...

arr... that reminds me.... you are using NTFS not FAT32... FAT32 does not support encription... if its phyicly stolen... there not much hope other than third party encryption programs... look in to steganos... they have a good "safe" program that works well... and they have a free version... not to sure if you can download it tho... i got it of a mag CD...

PoWa
02-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Does XP home even allow encryption? I thought that might be a XP Pro feature, could be wrong though.

Anyway, theres no way you can secure it without some 3rd party software. I've used DriveCrypt PlusPack and its the best. I mean its not hard-out stuff
you never even notice its there, just works by itself. Encrypts entire disk including the OS. Highly reccommend.

I'm also not to sure on how secure the windows encryption is anyway, they probably used dodgy methods for generating keys etc. 98% chance they supplied it with a few backdoors too.

Windows passwords can be cracked within uhh 7seconds was it? News report a while back. Plus if you put the drive in as slave, you can access all the data on it. Encryption probably your best bet.

Mzee
03-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Power Desk has an encryption facility which works well. You can encrypt a folder & its contents.
You can also encrypt Zip files and give them a password. This is very useful for securing attachments, just tell the recipient that the password is their mothers maiden name or something.

Don't keep the passwords on the computer.
Another way is to have the hard drive in a removeable caddy so that you can place it in a safe or something.

braindead
03-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Many thanks for that info m8 - appreciated.

braindead
03-03-2004, 08:56 PM
I meant to say: many thanks to all :) !!