PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my computer....... need advice

Shaggy
02-03-2004, 07:54 PM
I currently have Win98SE, PIII 800, 128 ram, TNT2 Ultra, 20gb hard drive....

I'm thinking of getting a whole new tower with everything in it & getting a old monitor & using my current one for my nephew.

does anyone have any suggestions about what to get when i get my new stuff?

thanks all
Daniel

JohnD
02-03-2004, 08:01 PM
The question as you have put it is a little like saying "what car should I buy"?

To answer that we need to know something about what you are intending to use it for?

Growly
02-03-2004, 08:19 PM
I would give you my site (cheap deals) - but that would be advertising, so just cruise the web (esp. www.pricespy.co.nz). Looking at your specs, and if you wanna do a significant upgrade, I's say you're much better of just buying a new machine. From your own choice of parts or package is up to you.

Gods-Hitman
02-03-2004, 08:20 PM
Try to get as close to this as you can
Windows Xp Pro
ATI Radeon 9800XT
1Gig 400 DDR
80Gig HDD
P4 2.4Gig
Dvd-Burner

(This is a mid to high sys)
Try to get somthing around this mark

Shaggy
02-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Thanks, this is what i was hoping for!

I'm just gonna use it for gaming.

XP pro, i probably wouldn't need it unless is i going for professional use?

thanks again all for the help!

somebody
02-03-2004, 09:43 PM
It really depends on what you intend to use it for, but an entry level PC from pretty much anywhere would do the trick. Try your local PC store, and see if they have any specials, or are able to give you suggestions and recommendations.

Megaman
02-03-2004, 09:46 PM
you could use xp home, but why? you have teh resources, go for the beefed up version.

tweak\'e
02-03-2004, 09:47 PM
unless your in an office sitution XPpro is just a waste of $$$ for home users.

Shaggy
02-03-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks, there are a few deals at the moment,
Home version seems to be the best for me

thanks all
Daniel

metla
02-03-2004, 10:46 PM
> I would give you my site (cheap deals) - but that
> would be advertising, so just cruise the web

What is your site?,i just clicked on your link in your profile and it went to http://www.cuteftp.com/

Gods-Hitman
03-03-2004, 06:31 AM
Hay,
If ur on LAN XPpro would help so If you have the $$ go for what Megaman seid, but Home is what im using and its giving me no problems.

Shaggy
03-03-2004, 10:01 PM
thanks, i dont use lan so lucky me....

I'm looking at one for $2200 in a dell catalouge
P4 3.0 GHz Ht Tech
Win XP Home
512 Pc3200 DDR_SDRAM at 400 mhz
80GB With a little 2 at the top (80GB2)
Intergrated Ethernet ?????
Intergrated Audio
128mb Geforce FX 5200 Graphics
48X DVD4 (little 4)/CD-RW Combo Drive (Burn CD's Play DVD's)
17 " CRT Monitor (16.0" vis)

Microsoft Office Small Business Edittion (includes Word, Excel, Outlook 2003, Powerpoint & Contact Manager) PreLoaded

NAV 2003 OEM Version
1 year limited next bussiness day on site service

Upgrades
WINXP Prof $138 Prob wont get
128mb Ati 9800 PRO Graphics Card $288 is it worth getting?

Basically I Would like to know
1. for a pure game playing machine is it good for the price?
2. Whats Ethernet, & how much worse is intergrated?
3. ow much worse will sound be with the intergrated sound card?
4. the combo dvd/cdrw is it still alright?
5. is the graphics card upgrade worth it?
6. the ram with the DDR etc, is that a good one, cause i remember reading that its a fast one or sumthing?

And Thanks everyone for helping so much!
Daniel

metla
03-03-2004, 10:10 PM
The video card is the worst performing one in the current line of cards, it may run most current games at a satisfactory level (which depends on your interpretation of satisfactory) because its being pushed by a grunty cpu but will seriously affect gaming performance.

metla
03-03-2004, 10:11 PM
uh.....perhaps i should have read your post better,take the ati9800pro upgrade,it is currently the best on the market.

Shaggy
03-03-2004, 10:15 PM
thanks metla

tweak\'e
03-03-2004, 10:25 PM
also check what onboard sound it uses. it may be better to get seperate sound card.

Shaggy
03-03-2004, 10:29 PM
i know, hopefully I can get that.....

thanks for the advice

Kenshin
03-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Here's what I think you should get:

19 Inch CRT
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton's core which can be overclocked to 3200+ EASILY)
120 GB Seagate Serial ATA HDD
1 GB of Twinmos Winbond RAM (dual channel package)
Abit NF7-s Motherboard (This board is one of the best for overclocking and will
almost gurantee ur 2500+ to run at 3200+ speed)

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Which ever brand ... as long as it doesn't use infineon ram)

Case with 400 PSU.

The rest u can choose urself as they are not performance related.

The above setup should be well under $2000 and will perform very close to a P4 3 GHz with the same graphics card.

BTW, the mobo comes with onboard SoundStorm which if u use the digital output
can match the quality of the Audigy2s

the highlander
03-03-2004, 10:45 PM
IMHO its a little overpriced and underspec

Any reputable computer dealer should be able to build a comparable system and have seperate dvd and cd-rw plus a 120gb hardrive for $100 less than this, using decent brand name parts
I'm not knocking dells they make ok systems and they have there place in the market but its not eye an wateringly attractive deal.
But if you do decide to go with it

Combo dvd-cdrw are ok especially in space limited cases but they are something of a compromise performance wise.

The 5200 vid card in any brand/flavour is now an entry level card you need more grunt

Onboard audio should be fine

DDR 400 ram is the fastest ram commonly available

If u dont Lan don't worry about ethernet capability

Shaggy
03-03-2004, 10:52 PM
I know dell is kinda over priced but they have good warrenty + they wont go bust lol,

I might get one from a smaller business somwhere in Palmerston North.....

thanks for answering all of the questions to.

what does all of the squared mean? like 80gb2 (little 2 squared)

tweak\'e
03-03-2004, 11:18 PM
>what does all of the squared mean? like 80gb2 (little 2 squared)

side notes. there will a side note numbered 2 which most likly be about hardrive size.

dipstick01
04-03-2004, 09:01 AM
when buying from a local manufacturer just make sure they are members of the Computer Manufacturers Association of New Zealand or CMANZ. These are the guys who took over PC Company servicing and warranties when they folded and do the same for any of their members. They also have guidelines for assembly and other bits so you have some guarantee of workmanship and backup.
Custom Built is still the best way to buy giving you more bang for your buck so to speak. Every time Dell advertise I jump for joy in our town as people will start looking at upgrading or buying a new PC and they are easy to beat on price and stats, hell I work in a Retravision and I know our prices aren't the sharpest in town and I can still beat them so shop carefully.
Try having a look at PBTechnologies. Thats where I got this PC from a few years back and I still am happy with it.

Shaggy
04-03-2004, 09:45 PM
I can't see any other little 2's anywhere lots of *'s...... oh well

Thanks for the info about CMANZ, I'll search for PBTechnology's on google now...... hoping they have a site to find

thanks all