PDA

View Full Version : Sony DRU-510A Dual Format DVD drive won't burn DVD-R

John H
02-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Hi folks

Is there anyone out there in computer land who has this drive? I burn DVDs successfully with DVD+R media, but have recently bought some DVD-R media.

The drive disdains to do anything with the latter media. The burning software that came with the drive (Sonic Record Now) rejects the media saying it is either dirty or scratched, or from the wrong manufacturer. It is neither dirty nor scratched (straight out of the wrapping) and I have tried both Imation and Sony media.

My software is up to date and so is the firmware for the drive. I am running WinXP with the drive, and it too is up to date. I have checked the Sony website, and there is no FAQ about this problem. The Sonic website is a mystery to me as it is written in Japanese...

Any kind suggestions gratefully received - if I can't get it to work, I will have some blank DVD-R media for a good home at a cheap price!

John

zminos
02-03-2004, 07:01 PM
acording to the specs' from sony the drive should be able to burn to dvd - r.

http://www.storagebysony.com/cd-rw/product.asp?id=207

I've asked a mate that has the same drive and used imation dvd - r ( bought from the warehouse ) and I also personally seen this drive now burn onto that class of dvd.

so why it's not burning on yours beats me.

:)

Ashley Matthews
02-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Not sure if this applies to your particular drive but I had the same problem with mine although it was the Buslink brand. Sonic RecordNow would not let me burn DVD-R media either. After pulling my hair out (I'd bought $100 worth of -R media in the states) i switched to the latest version of Nero which has worked perfectly with my drive

Hope this helps
Ash

John H
02-03-2004, 08:34 PM
>i switched to the latest version of Nero which has worked perfectly with my drive

So it may not be the drive, but the burning software? That sounds as though it may be possible. I will see if there is a trial of Nero to test the idea.

I think there is a trial version on the latest PC World CD.

Thanks Ash
John

John H
02-03-2004, 09:11 PM
You wuz right Ash. The problem is with the Sonic software. How bizarre that Sony should bundle software with its drive that cannot access all of its features! Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Now I don't have to waste those blanks.

Thanks to you! :D

John

Ashley Matthews
04-03-2004, 07:37 PM
Not a problem... Happy to help.... I wonder if i can get some of that free stuff you can win by helping another user...... Hint hint mods