PDA

View Full Version : XP Professional

stupid
02-03-2004, 04:00 PM
have upgraded to Windows XP Pro from 98SE, running Office 97, when I go to save a file in word or excel, it will only save the file as first letter of the word I type in, often crashes before I can save work, was running fine for first 4 days, now I can't get it to work at all without this problem. Have removed Office 97 and reloaded it but still have same problem. Have tried program configuration manager but hasnt fixed the problem.

Megaman
02-03-2004, 04:33 PM
2 suggestions

its old software. try running it in compadibility mode (god i hope i spelt that right ;))

or try openoffice (openoffice.org or if you have dialup grab it off a pcworld disk from teh library)

Susan B
02-03-2004, 04:54 PM
First thing to try: with Word not running do a search for normal.dot and rename it to normal.old. You may find more than one so rename all of them. Now see if the problem has gone.

Let us know how you get on.

Megaman:

> compadibility mode (god i hope i spelt that right )

Nearly, but compatibility is what you were after. Pronounce it right and you will spell it right. ;-)

> or try openoffice (openoffice.org or if you have dialup grab it off a pcworld disk from teh library)

He wasn't asking for an alternative, just a fix for the program he has already got. :-)

Graham L
02-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Don't be so rough, Susan. ;-)

Pronunciation can be tricky --- ghoti is a perfect phonetic spelling for
"fish".
Megaman didn't suggest an OS "upgrade" to W98SE. :O

Elephant
03-03-2004, 07:49 AM
My advise is to backup all data you want to keep.
Download all Drivers for your Motherboard, Printer, Modem, Graphics card etc.
Then format drive C: and do a clean istall of WinXP Pro.
Reinstall all drivers then re-install Office97 and any other programs you want.

stupid
03-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks for your advice, I found two Normal.dots, changed them to normal.old but hasn't fixed problem, but appreciate your help.

Stu

stupid
03-03-2004, 10:26 AM
I upgraded from Windows 98SE, thinking seriously about downgrading back to it, would prefer not to have to reformat disk if I could get away with it.

I did load Office.org last night so I could get on with some of my projects- good advice.

Mzee
06-03-2004, 12:33 AM
You can not upgrade from 98 to XP with any success.
Windows 98 is a Dos based system & XP is based on NT which is a true 32bit system & has no true Dos.
If you do a clean install of XP you will find that it is the most reliable system ever.

Scouse
06-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Hi Mzee. re: " You can not upgrade from 98 to XP with any success."
Some months ago I upgraded from 98SE to XP Pro. The only problems were the loss of some very old DOS games, the need to purchase a new scanner (long overdue) and the need for a prior copy and laer reload of Works 4.5. For some reason XP upgrade does warned that it would not like 4.5 but allowd it to be reloaded after the upgrade.
Everything else runs sweet as.