PDA

View Full Version : wifi - peer to peer connection

nav2u
02-03-2004, 12:31 PM
hi all,

i have recently purchased 2 wifi adaptors and am trying a make a p2p connection between my desktop and my laptop using no access point.

ihave tried using automatic windows config and as well as assigning IP addresses and subnets (192.168.0.x) and (255.255.255.0) but still with no success, i have also tried to use the config utility that comes with the lan adaptors...is some able to tell me where i am i going wrong

also i am trying to use ICS(internet connection sharing) which obviously is not going 2 work unless i get the network....

thanks
Nav

CYaBro
02-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Some more info might be helpful.

What O/S's are on the computer & laptop?

What make/model are the wifi adaptors?

Graham L
02-03-2004, 02:07 PM
It would help to know what sort of adaptors. (Brand, model, USB/PCI, PC Card ...).

Have you read the fine manual?. ;-)

The manuals with the DSE units seem quite understandable to me ... this example (http://www.dse.co.nz/isroot/dse/support/xh8152_manual.pdf) is for a PCMCIA Card model ...

Get the "Ad Hoc" connection going before you try adding more complecity like sharing. :D

rugila
02-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Have you tried pinging one machine from the other? Do they ping?

Have you checked that both machines are in the same workgroup?

wuppo
02-03-2004, 02:40 PM
The config program for the cards should allow you to configure them in either ad-hoc or infastructure modes. Use ad-hoc mode (for non AP networks). You will need to assign a frequency channel - use the same for both cards. Give both configurations an identical ssid ( = network name). Do not use "ANY" (sometimes a default).
Set manual IPs for the connections, in the same subnet and if you have firewalls, check that they have detected the adaptors and accomodated the subnet; if not manually add the subnet range to allowable IPs.

Do not enable any encryption - until after you get the link working (it's just another variable to confuse the issue).

nav2u
02-03-2004, 05:50 PM
The Adaptor I use is DSE Wireless 11Mbps USB Lan Adaptor, Code XH1153.

And the PCMCIA that I use is DSE Wireless LAN PCMCIA Card code XH6821.

The OS's are, Win XP Pro on desktop, and Win XP Home on Laptop.

I have tried following the instructions in the manuals, and at the following site too - http://www.utexas.edu/its/wireless/install/install_peer.html

But to no avail.

I know the hardware is working fine as someone else has also used my devices with an access point. And they worked fine.

Thanks,
Nav.

Graham L
02-03-2004, 06:03 PM
OK, I've got a couple of the USB ones ... the price was right. :D You should get an icon in the taskbar, which when you right-click gives you get the setup/test utility. If you have both units "running", try the scanning mode on one of them. Work from that.

It ought to work. :D

Ashley Matthews
02-03-2004, 06:58 PM
I'm doing exactly what you are proposing. Keep in mind though that Ad-hoc connections are not all that stable and can be frustrating at times. What i've done is connected the desktop machine up to a hub connected to JetStream. I've then bridged the network connections on the desktop machine allowing the Laptop to wirelessly access both the resources of my network and the internet.

The only annoying thing is i keep getting wireless outages which nobody here seems to know how to fix

Ash