PDA

View Full Version : Building a PC

Pacifier
02-03-2004, 09:40 AM
Hi all,

I'm having a crack at building my first machine, one thing I would like to know is whether I should use Thermal paste or Tape. Intel doesn't mention it in the instructions but the Motherboard ones do, do I need it and if I do Which should I get paste or tape??

Cheers all

somebody
02-03-2004, 09:45 AM
I've always used thermal tape when building PCs, because it comes as standard on the heatsinks (well the Intel/AMD ones anyway). However, some people would argue that thermal paste would keep the CPU cooler. Thermal paste will also cost you extra money.

You will only need thermal paste/tape for connecting the CPU heatsink to the CPU. No other components should need it.

Paste is basically applied as a thin even layer over the top of the CPU, and the heatsink is placed firmly over the top (with the proper retaining clips locked in etc). The tape is just a matter of peeling off the wax-backing, and putting the heatsink over the top of the CPU, and securing it in place. You can only use one or the other, not both (ie. tape or paste, but not both).

robo
02-03-2004, 09:46 AM
Hmm, I guess it depends on other things but I would say use thermal paste if the heatsink is clamped on in some way, and I am really not sure about tape. Paste makes a really good connection but not sure about stickability.
robo.

Jen C
02-03-2004, 10:38 AM
As somebody has already mentioned, if you get a boxed CPU that includes the standard heatsink with it, the thermal tape will already be applied to the base of the heatsink and you only need to remove the protective backing cover before fitting the heatsink over the CPU. No other paste or tape required.

If at some stage you remove your heatsink, you will need to replace the tape before refitting the heatsink.