PDA

View Full Version : New internet plans from Telstra

Barnabas
02-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Have a look at this article.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/businessstorydisplay.cfm?storyID=3552257&thesection=business&thesubsection=telecommunications&thesecondsubsection=general&thetickercode=

If you live in Wellington, Kapiti or Christchurch, Telstra is giving you 2 mbps download/512 upload, 1 gig per month (kinda small) but for only $39.95 or 5 gig for $59.95.

Now we're starting to get somewhere with "proper" broadband.

Come on Telecom, what can you do to match this? Do I have to move to Kapiti to get broadband now? Actually, Im not to sure where Kapiti is :-)

B.

Murray P
02-03-2004, 08:58 AM
> Actually, Im not to sure where Kapiti is :-)
>
> B.

Just south of Auckland, near Invercargill, Nelson and Taupo.

Cheers Murray ;P

godfather
02-03-2004, 08:59 AM
The working link is here (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/businessstorydisplay.cfm?storyID=3552257&thesection=business&thesubsection=telecommunications&thesecondsubsection=general&thetickercode=)

Sorry Barnabas, you simply cant post links that word-wrap in the input window. The word-wrapping adds spaces when its displayed.

Barnabas
02-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Thanks GF, never noticed that before. How did you do that then?

sam m
02-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Looked good until.........

Each of the above plans requires users to rent a cable modem from TelstraClear at $10.95 a month.

somebody
02-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Nice and vague Murray.....

Barnabas, Kapiti is about 30mins or so drive north of Wellington, on the west coast.

CYaBro
02-03-2004, 10:38 AM
How about these (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storyprint.cfm?storyid=3551834) plans then?? Are you reading this Telecom??

godfather
02-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Well ... CYaBro, they killed 22 people and destroyed 2000 houses to get that going - where do you suggest they carry out such a clearance here?

CYaBro
02-03-2004, 11:27 AM
I know a city they could blow up ]:)

karent
02-03-2004, 12:23 PM
You can bypass the cable rental issue by buying your own, can't you? Are those available from http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-template.asp?cname=ADSL compatible with the Telstra set-up? I'm seriously considering taking up the new service (I live on the currently very wet Kapiti Coast).

Susan B
02-03-2004, 12:48 PM
Grrrr!!! Why can't Telstra hurry up and do ALL of ChCh? It's not fair! :-(

Does anyone know where I can find out where they plan to lay cables? Someone said not long ago that they have stopped for now but that doesn't sound right to me. Are they putting cables in new subdivisions around ChCh as they are being developed? Anyone know anything?? :-)

Alasta
02-03-2004, 12:48 PM
An ADSL modem won't work on TelstraClear.

There is actually a thread about this running on the nz.reg.canterbury.general newsgroup at the moment and, apparently, TelstraClear don't currently allow people to use their own modems on their network but they might be reassessing this policy as we speak.

Susan B
02-03-2004, 12:57 PM
> You can bypass the cable rental issue by buying your own, can't you?

I don't think so. It wasn't an option the last I heard (about six months ago). It has something to do with compatibility with their lines/system - by having subscribers use their equipment they can guarantee compatibility and thus continuity of service.

Or something. Graham L will tell you. :D

Jester
02-03-2004, 06:33 PM
> Thanks GF, never noticed that before. How did you do
> that then?

Click formatting options (above the box where you type your reply, and it will have a section there on inserting links into words.

J
:D

Growly
02-03-2004, 08:31 PM
> > Actually, Im not to sure where Kapiti is :-)
> >
> > B.
>
> Just south of Auckland, near Invercargill, Nelson and
> Taupo.
>
> Cheers Murray ;P

But the Kapiti Coast is just north of wellington....

Growly
02-03-2004, 08:35 PM
GGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR DAMMIT!!!! Why must the cable network prices ALWAYS BEAT ADSL????

Silly TelstraClear, not cabling my "crib".....

Please don't answer with a technical response to my rhetorical question...

And Telecom still has its FirstMedia lines in the ground, cant they use them or not?

Megaman
02-03-2004, 08:47 PM
im more interested in the flat rate option

256k/ $99 a month/ UNLIMITED :D

CYaBro
03-03-2004, 01:11 PM
This (http://www.tomsnetworking.com/News_story_531.php) is what we need to get Telecom to drop their prices.

Graham L
03-03-2004, 02:05 PM
I think they ran out of money. :D

It's a hugely expensive process --- I think the estimate was $20 million for Christchurch. Allow for the inevitable cost overrun ... say $30 million.

Then assume they got 30 000 of Telecom's customers. The rentals have to cover the interest and "repayment" of that money. That amounts to at least $20 per week for financing. Providing services, maintenance, etc, of course cost negative amoiunts, so the rentals can be reasonable. ;-)

I suppose in the "new economy" where the money is all imaginary, and management is perfect it all makes sense. In the real world in which I would like to think that I live, it's bloody nonsense.

Perhaps the accounts and projections were passed by Arthur Anderson (well known for their highly skilled and competent audits of Enron).

Duplication or the infrastructure can never economic. The only way to handle "natural monopolies" is to have a monolopy, but regulate the bastards.

Murray P
03-03-2004, 02:05 PM
> > > Actually, Im not to sure where Kapiti is :-)
> > >
> > > B.
> >
> > Just south of Auckland, near Invercargill, Nelson
> and
> > Taupo.
> >
> > Cheers Murray ;P
>
>
> But the Kapiti Coast is just north of wellington....

Then I'm correct. It's south of Auckland and therefore of no consequence which, is the only thing you have to remember ;)

Cheers Murray P

Barnabas
03-03-2004, 02:17 PM
South of Auckland.....got it :-)
B.

Davesdad
03-03-2004, 02:30 PM
> > > > Actually, Im not to sure where Kapiti
> is :-)
> > > >
> > > > B.
> > >
> > > Just south of Auckland, near Invercargill,
> Nelson
> > and
> > > Taupo.
> > >
> > > Cheers Murray ;P
> >
> >
> > But the Kapiti Coast is just north of
> wellington....
>
>
> Then I'm correct. It's south of Auckland and
> therefore of no consequence which, is the only thing
> you have to remember ;)
>
> Cheers Murray P

But we have high speed cable internet :^O

arnie
03-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Line Charges etc aren't the only thing Telerob are flogging us for. Up until T/Clear popped up in Ch Ch & Kapiti, they used to charge $100 per section to "design and supply" small cable to new subdivisions everywhere.

Now in areas of competition they dropped the price to zero and upped every one else to $1000 per section, then to rub salt in had the cheek at the bottom of their letter to thank us for CHOOSING Telecom as our service provider. Roll on T/Clear into Nelson.

Murray P
03-03-2004, 04:18 PM
> > > > > Actually, Im not to sure where Kapiti
> > is :-)
> > > > >
> > > > > B.
> > > >
> > > > Just south of Auckland, near Invercargill,
> > Nelson
> > > and
> > > > Taupo.
> > > >
> > > > Cheers Murray ;P
> > >
> > >
> > > But the Kapiti Coast is just north of
> > wellington....
> >
> >
> > Then I'm correct. It's south of Auckland and
> > therefore of no consequence which, is the only
> thing
> > you have to remember ;)
> >
> > Cheers Murray P
>
> But we have high speed cable internet :^O

:^O So do I see this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=44986). Just my way of having a backwards flick at our superior neighbours up north.

Cheers Murray ;P

dwnz
23-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Kapiti is just north of wellington...

bartsdadhomer
23-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Kapiti is just north of wellington...
in the eighteen months since the posts were made they've prolly worked it out

dwnz
23-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Yea, sorry about that i didnt look at the dates till i had posted :blush:

personthingy
23-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Pity that the rules have changed to the worse with Telstras broadband, while others that offer ADSL via telecom are now offering better deals.......

(Spot the disatisfied telstra customer) :(

Time to go into the corner where my telco cables come in, and look at putting a working jackpoint back on one of telecoms pairs