PDA

View Full Version : wireless speeds

drcspy
02-03-2004, 06:56 AM
someone I know wants to install a wireless network and use internet connection sharing on it so that both their puters can get online at the same time............now I've been told the connection will be pretty slow.......can anyone who has already done this either confirm or otherwise ?

CYaBro
02-03-2004, 08:36 AM
A wireless LAN even at the older 802.11b spec. speed of 11Mbps is still way faster than a dial-up modem or even ADSL at full speed, so no problems using a wireless LAN to share an internet connection :)

drcspy
02-03-2004, 09:02 AM
hm......it's just that the guy at dick smiths said it'd be slowish........

godfather
02-03-2004, 09:17 AM
It will be "slowish" when comparing other network transfers (files etc) between computers, in comparison to a wired network. A wired network runs at 100 Mb/s compared to 11 Mb/s for cheap wireless. The internet connection does not need the speed though.

The speed of 802.11 of 11 Mb/s is a lot faster than either ADSL (around 0.5 Mb/s for a high speed link) or dial-up (.056 Mb/s).

So even with a fast ADSL internet connection your wireless link is over 20 times faster. For dial-up its 200 times faster.

Even if the wireless link only runs 1/2 speed its several times faster than the internet connection.

But - you do the maths, don't take my word for it.

drcspy
02-03-2004, 10:28 AM
hey you are correct of course I just didn't have my thinkin cap on and took his word for it............grrrrrr......thanks

Graham L
02-03-2004, 01:38 PM
It will be slow: if both users are downloading CD images or MP3s. :D That's not the fault of the wireless link. That's because you are sharing the bandwidth from your ISP to you.

Graham L
02-03-2004, 01:42 PM
It will be slower than a single connection. That's not because of the wireless. It's because two users are sharing the bandwidth from your ISP. If you both start downloads of CD images at once over a 56k modem, you can expect a very long session. :D

If you are doing "normal" things, you probably won't notice it. Most of the time.

wuppo
02-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Average throughput for a "very good" 11mb/s wireless connection can be in the order of only 4~5mb/s. Wireless connections are very sensitive to relative placement of the wireless devices and it very easy to drop down to minimal speeds.
With my 54mb/s wireless, I was only getting 2.8mb/s on jetstream even though I was only 1 room (20 feet) away from the AP. Plug in a wired connection and the speed went to 6.8mb/s. So don't expect 'published numbers' from a wireless setup. The bottom line is: there is a tradeoff for the convenience. :|

metla
02-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Should never take a dse workers advice onboard,just nod at em like your following what they are saying while paying as quickly as possible and planning your getaway.....

Susan B
02-03-2004, 05:03 PM
> Should never take a dse workers advice onboard,just nod at em like your following what they are saying while paying as quickly as possible and planning your getaway.....

How true! I once got laughed off this forum when I queried some advice received from a Tricky Dicky staff member regarding a network card. :p

The funny thing was that he was discouraging me from buying it when it would have done the job perfectly. :D