PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me!

cogzy
01-03-2004, 09:19 PM
What does it mean when you get to the Windows XP with the 3 moving bars but can't get any further is it something to do with your ram because at the moment I only have 256MB because the 512MB that came with the machine was faulty so I am using a friends memory

Assistance Required Thanks

Cogzy

JohnD
01-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Please could you let us know what indication you got that the original RAM was faulty?

drcspy
02-03-2004, 06:57 AM
last system I had that was doing that had a stuffed cpu ...........

Jen C
02-03-2004, 08:22 AM
WinXP will run with 256 MB of RAM. If windows is freezing at the splash screen point, you might want to see if you can still boot into Safe Mode. When the machine starts up, try keep tapping F8 until you see a boot menu appear - select Safe Mode and see whether Windows can load.

drcspy
02-03-2004, 09:03 AM
you got the right speed of ram ?.......didn't install some slower ram than the system likes by some chance ?

cogzy
02-03-2004, 11:27 AM
when I first started it up it wouldn't go past the winxp install then i changed the ram and I was able to install it then I have been able to log on a total of 3 times before this happened

Jen C
02-03-2004, 12:29 PM
You keep saying "install", do you mean just boot up XP and not installing the OS off the installation disk, or is this a freshly installed OS on a new system? Is the new ram compatible with your mobo specifications? What happens when you try safe mode?

cogzy
02-03-2004, 02:42 PM
OK lets slow it down, I INSTALLED windows 3 days ago off a cd and yesterday it started stopping at the screen with the 3 moving bars with a picture of the Windows logo I have been able to log on before this but now I can't overclockers.co.nz told me it was probably a driver problem like mup.exe is this true is it a driver error, thanks for your help so far

cogzy
02-03-2004, 02:45 PM
the first time i started the computer up and had to install winxp it would stop when It got to the bit when it tells you about all the new features then I changed the ram in it on advice of a friend and then it installed fine

somebody
02-03-2004, 03:08 PM
Please use grammar (commas, full stops, capital letters), so it's easier to read your posts and understand what you're saying.

A while back, I had a similar problem, except it would get up to the splash screen stage (the winXP logo with the moving bars below it), and then restart. That problem turned out to be faulty ACPI on the motherboard.

What happens if you try booting into Safe mode (as suggested above)? Does that work?

Did you previously have WinXP on your computer before? What are the hardware specs (eg. CPU, Hard Drive etc), and are they capable of handling Windows XP?

somebody
02-03-2004, 03:14 PM
If you have only just bought this computer, or it is still under warranty, then send it back and let the store you bought it from sort out the problem - especially since you suspect that the RAM is faulty (and had to replace it with your friend's).

If you haven't got any important data stored on the computer (since you only just installed Windows 3 days ago), you can always try re-installing WinXP and seeing if that helps.

cogzy
03-03-2004, 01:20 PM
when I start it in safe mode it goes through a list of files? and the last one on the list is Mup.sys what is going on I don't really understand much about drivers, I need some help

thanks

robsonde
03-03-2004, 01:36 PM
take it back to the shop and get them to fix it.

Jen C
03-03-2004, 01:57 PM
mup.sys is a real pandora's box. There is an extremely long thread on mup.sys causing (or actually not really causing) XP to hang during boot up. Read it all here (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1047532372) on another forum.

Some of the themes on the problem seems to be USB devices like mice, keyboards and cards, and others mention RAM. One suggestion that worked for some people was to put the RAM into another slot. You might want to try this since you have already been switching RAM. From that thread, there was no one universal fix, some solutions worked, whilst for others it made no difference.

If the computer is under warranty I would return it.