PDA

View Full Version : OT ? Bookmarks / Favourites.

beetle
01-03-2004, 06:05 PM
HI
I run Mozilla Firebird at the moment and during another post downloaded an extension, and while i was in the extensions list zone i found another one that checks out your links (when you tell it to) and lets you know what is or is not updated / lost etc, any way while doing that i found i had only 386 bookmarked items. this has probably trebled since i stopped using IE, :D
much more user friendly this firebird is.

and the question i have is do any of you PF1 people know how many favourites or bookmarked items you have in your list / drop down menu's???

and how many actually use them once they have been saved???

do you weed them out occasionally or do they lie there forever?

or do you only have the very most important things in there? life saving objects...... computer saviours im picking???

?:|

beetle

albatross
01-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Personally,
I put each bookmark in a folder called found today.This of course is kept on the bookmark toolbar.at some point each day I go through this folder and sort/discard after browsing the sites in the folder.

Cheers.
A.

Elephant
01-03-2004, 07:43 PM
I am inclined to save things as I find them in the way of Bookmarks. Thinks this will be useful someday. :-) The only thing I do in the way of organising the bookmarks is to rename the ones I use daily with 001 or 002 etc in front of the name. Needless to say PressF1 is saved as 001PressF1. Sort by name and PressF1 is no longer halfway through the list.

I'm not organised enough to create folders to put the Bookmarks in as I'd probably forget where I filed one.

Elephant
01-03-2004, 07:59 PM
BTW ( By the way ) I have not tried this Firebird but I am downloading it as I speak ( type )

I am going to try it but have tried others is the past like Phoenix for example. In Phoenix I had the odd web pages which did not render correctly so went back to IE. Most web pages are designed with IE in mind for obvious reasons most of which escape me at the moment.

Does anyone know if the current plugins I use for IE will work with Firebird? I use a Google Toolbar and also use Copernic Agent Pro.

beetle
01-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Albatross you sound so organised.
but i sound similar to you Elephant :D
oh well i make folders and evrything applicable goes into the named folder, and all in alphabetical order or almost.

as the folders i make last seem to always stay at top, no matter how much i want it to be in alphabetical order.

the only problem is i dont have that much spare time to surf these folders again or multiple times so sometimes wonder why i bother saving them???? no what i mean?

?:|

beetle

beetle
01-03-2004, 08:02 PM
its great, you may find you need to download the java / flash extension for better web page coverage though.

it has a google bar in it and you can also add suitable extensions. for a multitude of other things.

what on earth is copernic something?????

beetle

Elephant
01-03-2004, 08:53 PM
> its great, you may find you need to download the java
> / flash extension for better web page coverage
> though.
OK then.
> it has a google bar in it and you can also add
> suitable extensions. for a multitude of other
> things.
OK then.
>
> what on earth is copernic something?????
Copernic agent. Will use several search engines at once to find info. There is a free version as well as the Pro version. Go here for a look.
http://www.copernic.com/en/index.html

As I type this one I am using Firebird as the browser. Not game to make it the default browser at this point. To reply to this I had to re-logon as I guess my cookies are in a different place. :-) I was able to import my IE favourites fine but can't just right click and sort the way I used to. I sorted this out though as I found it in Bookmarks > Manage bookmarks and can sort from there.

My home page zipped off and I had to go to Edit > Preferences to get that back.

Just a different way of doing things but I am quite prepared to give Firebird a decent try.

The next thing I will look for is the Address bar equivalent of IE. It won't worry me that much if I don't find it as I can use Windows Explorer for that can't I?

Did you get your Epson printer sorted?

Jen C
01-03-2004, 10:32 PM
A bit OT sorry but ...

> As I type this one I am using Firebird as the
> browser.....
> My home page zipped off and I had to go to Edit >
> Preferences to get that back.

Elephant: If you got to your homepage settings via Edit > Preferences it sounds like you are using Mozilla and not Mozilla Firebird (although the latest download is now Mozilla Firefox). Take a look under Help > About ....

> Just a different way of doing things but I am quite
> prepared to give Firebird a decent try.
>
> The next thing I will look for is the Address bar
> equivalent of IE. It won't worry me that much if I
> don't find it as I can use Windows Explorer for that
> can't I?

Are you missing the URL address bar? That is strange. In Mozilla go View > Show/Hide > Navigation bar. In Mozilla Firefox(bird) go View > Toolbars > Naviagation Toolbar.

Good on you for giving it try :)

Jester
01-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Like Here (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/1-03-2004-10.27.44_p.m.jpg)

Winston001
02-03-2004, 10:06 AM
I run Opera which I like very much. Unfortunately it does not support the Google toolbar. Anyone know how to get highlighted search items using Opera?

Anyway I try to put my bookmarks into appropriate folders. I delete old ones on rare occasions if I see one. However I just use Quickfind (which is a button) to get a bookmark if I remember it is there. Very useful and saves looking in vain through various folders.

Winston

beetle
02-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Winston 001 im going to OT my own OT here, but have you had contact with Thomas lately???
is he coming back anytime soon?

or are you in the dark as much as me?

i always in the dark......dung heaps are warm dark places i know as i alwaysseem to be in the crap for some disaster or another round here. :D

thanxs all for the input, and goodluck Elephant with Mozilla or Mozilla Firebird whichever you are useing.

beetle