PDA

View Full Version : Reappearing Desktop Icon

sticke
01-03-2004, 05:53 PM
I have tried to win this battle with my icons for two long and i require backup!, i have a DSE (Dick Smiths Electronics) External ADSL Modem (XH1148) now since day one with this thing the DSE icons have appeared on my desktop. I have tried everything to remove them. Odviously Deleting them (nope) once rebooted THERE THEY ARE, i have tryed making the icons 'Hidden' and then turning 'see hidden files' off, agian, upon reboot THERE THEY ARE. ive tried doing the 'Hidden' thing as Admin, then logging on as a user THERE THEY ARE. does anyone have the same prob, and how to i get rid of the evil dse icons.
thankz

oh yea, Been to DSE and called the 'Help Line' SUPRIZE no help what so ever.

Jen C
01-03-2004, 06:06 PM
Do you mean the DSE icon has replaced all the normal desktop icons? Or a shortcut Icon of DSE cannot be removed from the desktop? What are the icons for? Right-click them and see where the shortcut target points. If it is a program that gets automatically loaded on each boot up, you might be able to stop this by using msconfig and removing the entries there - although if the program is required by the router this will not be a good idea.

What OS are you using?

It could be worse, I have heard of someone whose every internet icon got replaced by the DSE icon of Dick's face - that was ugly :D

sticke
02-03-2004, 09:58 AM
lol dicks face, hes hot. (NOT!)

nah only the shortcut icons get put on the screen one that says
DSE ADSL Control Panel
and another that says
DSE ADSL Connection

i am using windows XP pro

Jen C
02-03-2004, 10:27 AM
OK well I don't use a DSE externel modem, but you should be able to access your ADSL control panel by entering in the modem IP into your browser, or adding a shortcut to it on your Start Menu. Not sure what function the ADSL Connection shortcut provides.

Try this though:
Start > Run. Enter in msconfig [OK]. Under the Startup tab remove the tick from beside the DSE entries for those programs (if you can see them) and click Apply and OK. Delete the icons again off the desktop and then restart the machine. You will see a message during bootup about using selective startup for troubleshooting - put a tick beside "don't show this message again" and click OK. See if your icons have reappeared - also see if your modem still works and you can access the Control Program via entering in the IP into a browser.

If you have lost functions from preventing any programs from loading during startup, you will need to go back and replace the tick beside them.

If this doesn't work, someone with a DSE external ADSL modem might be able to shed more light on this issue.