PDA

View Full Version : "First Local Router" is where ?

Woof
01-03-2004, 05:15 PM
As far as my home connection to the internet is concerned where in the sequence is the "first local Router" ? Where can I find a diagram of "how the internet works" as far as such a matter is concerned ?

The reason I want to know is because I believe that there is a significant performance issue routinely occurring there which is impairing my internet performance.

My connection is a simple single pc using an internal modem to dial-up over the 'phone lines to my ISP.

My worry is that either my ISP has a "customer to modem" ratio inadequacy OR the Telecom copper wire network,including exchanges, has a congestion issue.

Any helpful observations would be appreciated, please.

Graham L
01-03-2004, 05:47 PM
"customer to modem" ratio is not your problem. :D If you can dial in, your ISP has enough "modem" connections available. (Technology has changed --- ISP don't have shelves of real modems any more).

What ISPs can "oversell" is the bandwidth of their connection to the Internet. If they have 1GHz of bandwidth, they can supply enoyugh users to potentially use 10GHz ... because they won;t all be active at the same time, and most won't use their full capability anyway.

The most likely Telecom problem to affect you is in the cable from your exchange to you. That's the most vulnerable part, unless you are at a very remote exchange (and many of those have been on optical fibre fior a long time) . You can tell pretty well how good that is by the connect speeds you get.

The "first local router" might be a matter of terminology. I assume there are routers used in the Telecom digital network which connects you to your ISP.

Woof
01-03-2004, 11:43 PM
"Diagnosis:
Your first intranet local router is slow or unavailable. Yellow indicates the router is congested. Red indicates the router is so congested it is dropping data or has temporarily failed. Note that some occasional dropping of data is normal, because data gets retransmitted automatically, but this causes slowdowns and traffic jams."

In my case it is red, almost always.

Graham, are you saying that there are 'routers' within the local exchange to which I connect ?
And are there other 'routers' in other exchanges before my connection is routed bt Telecom to my ISP ?

It sounds like either way this persistent problem is within the Telecom network, from what you are saying.........

BTW my 'site' is in suburban west Auckland.

Graham L
02-03-2004, 04:59 PM
There will certainly be routers in telephone exchanges. Dialup connections to ISPs will be converted to digital at the earliest possible point then handled as packets on the digital backbone, rather than through the telephone switched network.

However, your problems are quite likely not to be Telecom's fault. ;-)

That error message refers to an "intranet local router". An intranet is more commonly called a "LAN". Has your computer been part of a local network, and now is used on its own? You might have software still sitting there trying to route your work through a non-existent network. This could cause speed problems. :D

Woof
02-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Hmmmm
Food for thought ....

No - this PC has NEVER been used as anything other than a standalone pc.

Maybe when I "rebuilt" the hdd last year I have mistakenly chosen a setting , switch or option that has resulted in this software concluding that there is a LAN (hence "intranet"). Maybe even when installing the modem .....

Thanks Graham L. Maybe it's time to set-up the next blank hdd and be vigilant in the process. I use a removeable hdd caddy so I will be able to switch back and forth to compare performance somewhat ....

BTW - the OS is ME

ugh1
03-03-2004, 03:48 PM
In the sense of the first router, it is your network stack on your PC as it needs to figure out if the traffic is destined for your loopback, local network or wide are network connection.